Stepper Motor to Run Mechanical Clock

Our weekly LIVE video chat. Every Wednesday at 8pm ET!

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
Eebel

Stepper Motor to Run Mechanical Clock

Post by Eebel »

Hi,

I am 3D printing a small steam punk analog clock with gears to drive the hands. The gears are about 55 mm (2 inches-ish) in diameter and their shaft are mounted on 22mm ballbearings. I want drive the gears and I think a stepper motor would do the trick. I want the whole thing to be battery powered and fairly lightweight as it is going inside a hat. I was guessing I could use a Trinket or Trinket pro to run a stepper motor, but I know I need some sort of interface between the trinket and the stepper motor. As an added feature, I was thinking about adding some LED lights to pulse at 1 second intervals to indicate the passing of time (maybe a Neopixel ring or similar?)

Could you recommend some hardware that would work for this project?

Thanks,

Tim
ClockworkMarkIII v10.png
ClockworkMarkIII v10.png (153.92 KiB) Viewed 292 times

adafruit_support_bill

Re: Stepper Motor to Run Mechanical Clock

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

I would recommend one of the Feather processors with the Motor Wing. https://www.adafruit.com/product/2927
One issue with stepper motors in portable applications is that steppers are not very efficient. The good news is that your clock probably will not require a lot of 'holding torque', so you can conserve some power by releasing the holding current between 'ticks'.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Ask an Engineer! VIDEO CHAT (closed)”