Help for beginners

Our weekly LIVE video chat. Every Wednesday at 8pm ET!

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
Lindaemma

Help for beginners

Post by Lindaemma »

HELP!! All the information I am seeing is way over my head. I want to wire two LED lights to one coin cell battery with an on/off switch for inside a costume. What do I use to connect the LED lights to the battery? The costume I will be using this in is worbla so I cannot use the metal thread to sew the lights into the costume, most likely I will have to glue it to the inside. What makes the connection??? No where do I see the very basics to help me out.

Your site has many cool items, but it would help me to have a more basic video showing the steps I need for the LED lights.

Thank you.

Franklin97355

Re: Help for beginners

Post by Franklin97355 »

Which lights are you planning to use and where in the costume will they be placed? You would run wire to the leds from the battery and place the switch in one of the wires at the battery end. You can get battery holders from our shop.

RES

Re: Help for beginners

Post by RES »

An LED need a series resistor to limit the current (through the LED).
Two LEDs (in series) need one series resistor too. Value of the resistor depends on the colour of the LED. What colour are the LEDs? Both the same or different colours? High efficiency LEDs have a transparent dome but emits coloured light. There are a few types of LEDs, hi-eff, normal and low current. If the coin cell is 3V and the LED emits red light, you need a resistor of 3V-1.8V/20mA -> 68 Ohm. Two red LEDs in series would stay off because 2*1.8V=3.6V, is higher than 3V. So you have to connect the two red LEDs in parallel, each LED needs a(t least) 68 Ohm resistor.(or higher value if the light intensity is too high). Basic can still be confusing.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Ask an Engineer! VIDEO CHAT (closed)”