📬❄️📦Adafruit Holiday Shipping Deadlines 2019: Please place all UPS 3 Day orders by 11am ET Friday December 13 📬❄️📦

Lipo compatibility.
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Lipo compatibility.

by Bpwmd on Wed Oct 11, 2017 1:52 pm

So i live in Juneau, AK which is effectively an island. the only place i have to get lipo batteries is from my local RC shop not unfortunatley these batteries have both a Regular JST connector (not the JST-PH that the 500mah lipo boost/charge board im going to be using has), but it also has a balancing lead.
so questions...... is it safe to solder one of the JST-PH leads i have to the battery so i can plug it into the board (i can also crip connect it) even though the battery i have uses 22 gauge and the JST connector seems to have about 26 gauge. AND is it safe to attach this battery to the boost charger without the balancing leads........
battey is linked here https://www.venompower.com/collections/venom-drone-batteries/products/venom-25c-1s-1000mah-3-7v-lipo-battery-with-micro-losi-and-jst-plugs.

Bpwmd

Re: Lipo compatibility.

by adafruit_support_bill on Wed Oct 11, 2017 4:45 pm

The balancing lead is only needed if you are combining multiple cells into a pack. For that, you would need a balance charger.

But for a 1S 3.7v LiPo cell, you can just replace the connector and plug it into the PowerBoost board.

Note that most RC LiPo cells and packs are not equipped with overdischarge protection circuits, so you will have to be careful to not allow the cell to go below about 3v.

adafruit_support_bill

by Bpwmd on Wed Oct 11, 2017 4:51 pm

So I know that the boost board has an led that comes on when low voltage occurs but does that also shut it off after a bit?

Bpwmd

by adafruit_support_bill on Wed Oct 11, 2017 5:55 pm

It does not cut power automatically. If you have a microcontroller in your system, you can monitor that pin and do an orderly shutdown when the battery gets low.

adafruit_support_bill

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.