📬❄️📦Adafruit Holiday Shipping Deadlines 2019: Please place all UPS 3 Day orders by 11am ET Friday December 13 📬❄️📦

DotStar vs. NeoPixel
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

DotStar vs. NeoPixel

by kozman007 on Wed Nov 08, 2017 8:52 pm

I'm a beginner. I'm a singer in a band and will be purchasing 40-45 meters or LED strips for a project. I know the DotStar is better with the refresh rate and persistence of vision. Would that mean it's better for creating a strobe effect having the lights flash rapidly? Also the Neo Pixel RGBW is tempting with how bright they can get but can the DotStar produce just as bright or close to brightness? Seems like the DotStar might be a little easier to use for a beginner being that no there is no strict signal timing requirements. Basically trying to get at if DotStar is a better choice for what I'm looking for.

kozman007

Re: DotStar vs. NeoPixel

by adafruit_support_carter on Fri Nov 10, 2017 2:57 pm

Would that mean it's better for creating a strobe effect having the lights flash rapidly?

Define rapid. How fast do you want this to be?

A third option might be analog RGB strips if you do not want to individually control each pixel color.

adafruit_support_carter

by kozman007 on Fri Nov 10, 2017 3:07 pm

I would like to individually control each pixel color. I was thinking milliseconds. Does that help define it?

kozman007

by adafruit_support_carter on Fri Nov 10, 2017 6:24 pm

That ball parks it. Comparing the two:
https://learn.adafruit.com/adafruit-dot ... -neopixels
you can see NeoPixels have a 400Hz PWM rate. This equates to a 2.5ms refresh rate. So it sounds like you're wanting to work near the limit of NeoPixel capability. Try looking through the + / - stuff in that link and see if there any show stoppers that would make you lean one way or another.

Also keep in mind that millisecond level strobe rates may not be human perceivable.

Also the Neo Pixel RGBW is tempting with how bright they can get but can the DotStar produce just as bright or close to brightness?

There some info buried on the product pages and the datasheets, which basically says:
DotStar (SK9822):
Red ~600mcd
Green ~500mcd
Blue ~150mcd

NeoPixel (SK6812):
Red 700-1000mcd
Green 1500-2200mcd
Blue 700-1000mcd

adafruit_support_carter

by kozman007 on Wed Nov 22, 2017 4:08 pm

I'm convinced. Neo Pixel will be fast enough for what I need and the brightness is much better. I already have a Advatek PixLite 16 MkII Control Board. It is compatible with NeoPixel RGBW LED strips. From what I am reading every four meters I need to add a power source correct? Once again this is all a FIRST TIME project for me. I am not trained. I'm looking at a few programs to control the pixels. Showtime sequencing suite, Lightjams, or Madmapper. Just trying to decide which works best for me. I'm kind of worries about the hacking mentioned. As a first time user I'm wondering if that's going to be something over my head? I'm also curious about the placement of all this on stage. I attached the look of what we are doing. The actual project is already built to where the strips will be attached. Do I need multiple extensions to connect to the control board or do all the strips get connected together providing there is a power source every four meters? I have attached a stage setup.
Attachments
Deep Dark Cave Stage Setup.jpg
Deep Dark Cave Stage Setup.jpg (241.32 KiB) Viewed 2065 times

kozman007

by adafruit_support_carter on Wed Nov 22, 2017 5:00 pm

Lots of NeoPixel info in this guide:
https://learn.adafruit.com/adafruit-neopixel-uberguide
Try starting simple. Buy a short length of NeoPixels to play around with it to see if it will really work as you're wanting. Then you can focus on scaling it up for your setup (which looks like it's going to be rockin!). And hopefully the info in the uber guide will help.

adafruit_support_carter

by kozman007 on Wed Nov 22, 2017 5:09 pm

I seem to recall you have a black Friday sale last year which is why I would purchase what I need then. If there's no sale then I wouldn't worry about it. I will start small as suggested but is that correct in saying every four meters you need a power source? As well do I need multiple extensions to connect to the control board or do all the strips get connected together providing there is a power source every four meters?

kozman007

by adafruit_support_carter on Thu Nov 23, 2017 11:59 am

I will start small as suggested but is that correct in saying every four meters you need a power source?

You'll want to do something like this for a very long wrong. Every four meters is just a general ball park guidance, but should be good for a starter.

As well do I need multiple extensions to connect to the control board or do all the strips get connected together providing there is a power source every four meters?

In general, you could go either way. But that control board you mentioned looks fancy and seems like it maybe it does a good job of supporting and synchronizing multiple branches. That setup may be more convenient based on your sketch as it will allow you to set things up in more manageable groups.

adafruit_support_carter

by kozman007 on Fri Nov 24, 2017 4:03 pm

Thanks!
TODAY I purchased 34 meters of NeoPixel Digital RGBW LED Strip - Black PCB 60, 8 - 5V 10A switching power supply, 8 Female DC Power adapter - 2.1mm jack to screw terminal block and 8 - 2-pin JST SM Plug + Receptacle Cable Set. Reading this though I feel I’m missing something. Can you attach the links regarding these items below and advise and how many I should buy. Looks like I need a resistor and a capacitor. Please advise and send a link if possible.
“• Before connecting NeoPixels to any large power source (DC “wall wart” or even a large battery), add a capacitor (1000 µF, 6.3V or higher) across the + and – terminals as shown above. The capacitor buffers sudden changes in the current drawn by the strip.
• Place a 300 to 500 Ohm resistor between the Arduino data output pin and the input to the first NeoPixel. The resistor should be at the end of the wire closest to the NeoPixel(s), not the microcontroller. Some products already incorporate this resistor…if you’re not sure, add one…there’s no harm in doubling up!

kozman007

by adafruit_support_carter on Sat Nov 25, 2017 1:33 pm

adafruit_support_carter

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.