๐Ÿ“ฃ๐Ÿ“ช ๐Ÿšš Adafruit will not be shipping USPS orders Monday January 20, 2020 ๐Ÿ—“. Expedited USPS orders placed after 11am ET ๐Ÿ•š Friday January 17 will go out Tuesday January 21 ๐Ÿ“ฃ๐Ÿ“ช๐Ÿšš

Using USB Cable with Data/Charge Switch Repeatedly
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Using USB Cable with Data/Charge Switch Repeatedly

by Disco_Makberto on Fri Dec 29, 2017 3:29 am

Hi! I am considering buying one of your "USB Extension Cable with Data/Charge Sync Switch" that you are selling here:

https://www.adafruit.com/product/3438 .

However, I can see that towards the end you are advising: "Please note: Devices don't like it when the data lines mysteriously appear and disappear. We recommend setting the cable function and then plugging in your device."

I would like to use this cable with a flash drive at one end and a computer at the other end. Obviously, if I switch the cable to data, I can use the flash drive; and if I switch the cable to charge, I cannot use the flash drive. But what bad effects can I expect by changing the switch while the cable is connected to both the flash drive and the computer? I don't understand what you are saying; you see, after all, I can plug and unplug the flash to/from a USB port of the computer multiple times (within reason), and nothing bad happens.

Thank you,

C.A. "Disco_Makberto"

P.S.: I forgot. I know it is not advisable to unplug a flash drive from a computer when reading from the flash drive or when writing to the flash drive. But I am talking about a flash drive in idle state.

Disco_Makberto

Re: Using USB Cable with Data/Charge Switch Repeatedly

by devinganger on Fri Dec 29, 2017 7:10 am

When you unplug a USB drive from a computer, you're unplugging the data lines *and* the power/ground lines all at the same time. I don't know if the USB spec includes any description of what devices are supposed to do if the data lines suddenly disappear -- I suspect that it's not a use case that the spec covers and if so, what any given device does in that scenario is undefined and essentially random, a product of its chipset and firmware.

devinganger

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.