RGBW Christmas lights
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

RGBW Christmas lights

by Wumbo on Sun Jan 14, 2018 2:33 am

Hello,

I was wondering if there is a product that uses the same chip as the RGBW neopixels but in a Christmas light type strip, If not what would be the best items to get in order to make my own.

Also in my current project I am running 5m of the 60 led RGBW neopixels controlled by a teensy 3.6. The strips are powered by a mean well LRS-350 5v 60A power supply. I have tested it with only 1m of leds and have a 1000uF capacitor protecting the led strip from any spike from the power supply. I have had no magic smoke yet but am wondering if i need to increase that capacitor when i add 4m to the chain.

Eventually i am planning on having 15m of the RGBW strips when i am finally complete with this project. And if i did my math right I will need 72A to power these strips? Does that sound correct or will i be okay with my current powersupply?

Thanks!

-Ryan

Wumbo

Re: RGBW Christmas lights

by franklin97355 on Sun Jan 14, 2018 12:33 pm

This is the closest we have to "Christmas" lights. https://www.adafruit.com/product/322 As to the power needed that is the "worst case" power when all pixels are on full blast and almost never happens.

franklin97355

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.