Ask an Engineer Chat @adafruit.com - 021310 VIDEO UPLOADED!!

Our weekly LIVE video chat. Every Wednesday at 8pm ET!

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

echoskope

Re: Ask an Engineer Chat @adafruit.com - 021310 VIDEO UPLOADED!!

Post by echoskope »

Regarding the DC ammeter question:

I spent my time today in matrix algebra class (cuz who learns anything new in matrix algebra that we didn't learn in the 5th grade???) looking through my physics book... I should have known the answer to this question (Since I AM a Physics engineering major)....

The movement of a particle (such as an electron) causes a magnetic field to be created (in this case around the wire in question). We can determine the direction of the field by pointing our right thumb in the direction of the current and then curling our fingers towards our palm, which indicates the direction. The magnetic field created by the moving electrons through the wire we are trying to measure induces a voltage into the clamp on ammeter (induction is same way transformers work) which can then be measured and magically the amperage is determined (and by magically I mean Ohms law... I think..). Hopefully this is right, otherwise I think I just might have to go into marketing (for those of you who have seen "An Engineering Mind")

Well at least I learned one thing out of a 2000 page physics book :)

minerva

Post by minerva »

Echoskope: You might find this interesting: http://forums.adafruit.com/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=14572

echoskope

Post by echoskope »

Oops didn't see you had already answered the question! Sorry!

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Ask an Engineer! VIDEO CHAT (closed)”