Can I use a peizo to trigger an LED with the Gemma?

Our weekly LIVE video chat. Every Wednesday at 8pm ET!

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
drumphat

Can I use a peizo to trigger an LED with the Gemma?

Post by drumphat »

I recently purchased the Drum LED setup for making drums that light up when you hit them. However, I didn't realized that it wouldn't work very well with an electric drumset that I'm using because the mini mic doesn't actuate when hitting the drums since the drums have soundless drum heads (otherwise known as mesh heads).

So I'm trying to figure out how I can trigger my LED lights with the Gemma by using a peizo element like the one in this picture. Can someone tell me how to wire this setup together please. Thank You!!
Attachments
10293_01.jpg.png
10293_01.jpg.png (82.2 KiB) Viewed 456 times

adafruit_support_bill

Re: Can I use a peizo to trigger an LED with the Gemma?

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

This project sounds similar to what you want to do:

http://garagelab.com/profiles/blogs/pro ... duino-drum

drumphat

Post by drumphat »

I appreciate the reply. Thank you. The only problem is that I don't want to have to lug my laptop to gigs when I play out. I believe the Arduino board won't run stand alone and needs to be plugged into a computer in order to work. Is that right? I was really hoping there was a way to do it by simply replacing the miniature mic provided in the Drum LED kit with the peizo. Any chance you think that may work? I'm an amateur here, obviously, so I'm sorry if my questions seem 1st grade to anyone. Thanks for all the help everyone!

Franklin97355

Post by Franklin97355 »

Is that right?
No, any 5v power source should work.
Any chance you think that may work?
Might is the operative word there. I would get one and try it to see.

adafruit_support_bill

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

I believe the Arduino board won't run stand alone and needs to be plugged into a computer in order to work. Is that right?
No. The Arduino will run standalone - just like the Gemma.
I was really hoping there was a way to do it by simply replacing the miniature mic provided in the Drum LED kit with the peizo. Any chance you think that may work?
The analog inputs on the Gemma work the same as the analog inputs on the Arduino. If you copy the Peizo sensor schematic and code from the project linked, it may just work for you. You will probably need to experiment a bit to find the best mounting location and method for the Peizo sensors.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Ask an Engineer! VIDEO CHAT (closed)”