Voting resources, early voting, and poll worker information - VOTE. ... Adafruit is open and shipping.

Programming Multiple Addressable LED Strips
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Programming Multiple Addressable LED Strips

by kyle1james on Wed Jan 06, 2016 11:14 am

Hello,

I'm new to Adafruit, but have a background in programming. The company I work for wants me to hang about 10 3ft addressable LED strips from the ceiling for an event. They want the strips to be used to give a light show that I program. As I am new to the hardware side, I would love some advice on the equipment I need.

I have a few questions. For example, do I need a microcontroller for each LED strip? How should I go about maintaining a proper power supply for an extended network? Is there a way to control the strips via wifi? Thank you for your help, and answering my newbie questions.

All the best,

Kyle

kyle1james

Re: Programming Multiple Addressable LED Strips

by adafruit_support_bill on Wed Jan 06, 2016 11:23 am

It is possible to address multiple strips from a single processor. 3ft strips can generally be powered from one end without problems. For power supply planning purposes, the worst-case power utilization is 60mA per pixel. That is for all pixels at full-intensity white. Most typical applications require 1/3 to 1/2 of that.

It is possible to control pixels via WiFi. We don't have an off-the-shelf application for that. Some software development/integration would be required.

adafruit_support_bill

by kyle1james on Tue Jan 19, 2016 10:38 am

Thanks for the reply. I was hoping you could point me towards a tutorial on the best way to connect the led lights to their power source. I have a 5v adapter- linked below- but am at a lost on how to connect it to the strip, more specifically what piece of equipment mediates between my wires and the adapter. This is my first delve out of software, and into hardware, and I'm dying to see if my code will work!

5v adapter (https://www.adafruit.com/products/276%5 ... oducts/368)

kyle1james

by adafruit_support_bill on Tue Jan 19, 2016 10:50 am

This adapter will connect to the plug on the power supply. The GND and 5v wires from the strip connect to the screw terminals as in the photo below

Not all strips will have wires attached. If your strip was cut from a full reel, you will need to solder wires to it.

We recommend that you read through this guide before starting on your first project with Neopixels:
https://learn.adafruit.com/adafruit-neopixel-uberguide

adafruit_support_bill

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.