🔮Adafruit sale all weekend long – use the code ADATHX for 15% off! 🔮

Cluster bench sweep test
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Cluster bench sweep test

by dave_b_18 on Wed Feb 17, 2016 3:15 am

Hello,

Complete noob here guys, please be kind.

In Short:
I need to design a device that can test vehicle instrument clusters. Mostly for an x27.168 stepper motor. The build that I'm trying to accomplish will hookup to a cluster and test out the stepper motors to ensure functionality. I've seen video's but non really talk about the design.

I know that I will need to buy bench power and already have one picked out. I believe the way I can accomplish what I want to do is with an Arduino board but I don't know the first thing about it. Does adafruit offer some type of build out plan? I can't take on any new projects that will take me weeks/months to learn. Unless is much easier than I'm imagining.

Possibly helpful information:
I've dug this up but have no idea what it means - "serial bi-directional command on the communication bus circuit"
and here is a video of what I'm trying to do: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NJQWRBVx4ow

Thanks for any help

dave_b_18

Re: Cluster bench sweep test

by franklin97355 on Wed Feb 17, 2016 2:44 pm

I'm sure it can be done but it will not be easy. You will need to know what the steppers are and how many steps is full swing, what voltage they take and so on. Are you sure you control these directly or through some form of communications like the CAN bus? You might consider posting a job offer in the jobs forum. http://www.adafruit.com/jobs

franklin97355

Re: Cluster bench sweep test

by dave_b_18 on Thu Feb 18, 2016 11:01 am

Thank you for your reply.

Sounds good to me (CAN bus), I'll start looking into that. And I'll definitely post something to the jobs link that you posted. Thank you for the lead!

-Dave-

dave_b_18

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.