Adafruit is open and shipping! Let's build back better, together!

Require help for 1st project (bike signals)
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Require help for 1st project (bike signals)

by FVorreiter on Wed Feb 17, 2016 4:21 pm

Hi,
I have been playing with the idea of building a bike signal system for a few years now and I think it's time to get started. I commute pulling my children (in a bike trailer), and I want to make sure I can keep my hands on the handlebars/triathlon bar while signalling turns and stops to motorists just as if I was in a car myself.

The following projects I found online are going into the direction I was thinking:
http://www.instructables.com/id/turn-si ... ng-jacket/
https://vimeo.com/79909524

This project is very similar to what I would like to build:
http://jdeboi.com/portfolio/pimpmybike/

Due to our harsh winter climate, the battery component should be mobile (carried on me, close to my body; even while biking). I would like to just go up to my bike, plug in via USB and have the system operational. The switches for left and right could be on the handlebars, but I would be open to have then integrated into gloves as well. I would prefer to keep my hands on the handlebars at all times.
If an accelerometer is useful for the purpose, that would be great for triggering the brake lights. Especially for backup during unexpected brake maneuvers/crashes.

The lights themselves should be a relatively large led panel (as bright as possible) that I can enclose (in tupperware?), and then mount either to my bike trailer (when riding with kids) or to my back/vest/backpack (when riding without the kids). Again, it would be important to hook up fast via USB or another suitable plug. I don't really need to hardware anything into my bike if that helps. It would be important to get a status reading off my controller though (on hands or handlebar).

Left & right signal: Flashing arrows in orange
Rear idling signal: Flashing square/circle in red
Brake signal: Constant square/circle in red with added brightness or white edge

I would be very grateful if someone could help me with this project!

Thanks,

Florian

FVorreiter

Re: Require help for 1st project (bike signals)

by franklin97355 on Wed Feb 17, 2016 7:48 pm

franklin97355

Re: Require help for 1st project (bike signals)

by FVorreiter on Fri Feb 19, 2016 12:16 am

Thank you for the links! I really like the Flora-brakelight backpack. A few questions come to mind immediately:
- Would the accelerometer be adjustable to register small speed changes on a bicycle?
- What LED's are most powerful and visible in the daytime?
- Do I understand correctly that technically all the lights and processor could be installed on the bike, but I could use a remote switch to trigger signals?

FVorreiter

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.