DIY lightsaber, connecting adafruit parts

Our weekly LIVE video chat. Every Wednesday at 8pm ET!

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
rhettjet

DIY lightsaber, connecting adafruit parts

Post by rhettjet »

Im trying to make a DIY light saber and I just purchased the vs10538 audio codec, the feather 32u4 basic proto, and the LIS3DH 3 axis accelerometer..I'm completely new to this level of wiring.. ive read all the learn about product pages for them, learned what the pins are for though I'm not sure about some of the technical jargon, and have a basic idea how to connect but keep getting confused with what pin are connected where.. any tips, suggestions, diagrams, tutorials will help..

adafruit_support_bill

Re: DIY lightsaber, connecting adafruit parts

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

We have a tutorial for the VS1053 here: https://learn.adafruit.com/adafruit-vs1 ... c-tutorial

adafruit_support_bill

We have a tutorial for the VS1053 here: https://learn.adafruit.com/adafruit-vs1 ... c-tutorial

rhettjet

Post by rhettjet »

Yeah the simple audio wiring section helps... i have a feather 3244 basic im trying to connect to, do I just follow the steps on that page when it says.. example- CLK>Arduino #13.. , MISO>Arduino #12 , MOSI>Arduino #11 , etc..... if so when I get to XDCS> Arduino #8 I get confused because the feather 32u4 doesn't have an 8.. also if I follow the wiring page for the accelerometer it connects to 13 12 11 and 10 as well, will this matter? Last questing how do I make the accelerometer trigger a sound? Thank u all for ur fast response makes me feel a lot better and confident about my purchase.. just barely with me, I'm new at these type of things

adafruit_support_bill

The 32U4 is a slightly different processor. It has dedicated pins for MISO, MOSI and CLK(SCK) so connect to those instead of 11, 12, 13. The accelerometer should be able to share those pins too, since that is the SPI bus.

For pin 8, you can use any other available pin. But you will need to edit the code to match the pin you are using.

To trigger a sound on with the accelerometer, you first need to figure out what kind of motion you want to act as the trigger. if you run the example code from the accelerometer tutorial, it will show you the actual readings. Then move the accelerometer in a way you want to trigger a sound, and watch what the readings say. Once you know what X, Y and Z values to expect for your trigger motion, it is fairly straightforward to write code for them.

rhettjet

Post by rhettjet »

Thank you so much.. this is exactly what I needed.. I may have more questions but need to get into nit and start connecting thanks again..

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Ask an Engineer! VIDEO CHAT (closed)”