๐Ÿ“ฃ๐Ÿ“ช ๐Ÿšš Adafruit will not be shipping USPS orders Monday October 14, 2019 ๐Ÿ—“. Expedited USPS orders placed after 11am ET ๐Ÿ•š Friday October 11 will go out Tuesday October 15 ๐Ÿ“ฃ๐Ÿ“ช๐Ÿšš

Suggestion - and MTBF of POGO PINS?
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Suggestion - and MTBF of POGO PINS?

by HowardP on Thu Apr 07, 2016 12:35 pm

Hi Lady Ada,

Several items in your recent From the Desk of Lady Ada video caught my attention.

With great interest, I watched your work flow with Eagle. And, during yesterday's (7Apr16) Ask an Engineer, you mentioned in passing that you could "do three hours about Eagle." I sure hope you can make the time do that! I'd watch it many times, as I'm certain many other folks would too. You are a very good instructor, and more importantly, you're not boring about it either. LOL.

In From the Desk of Lady Ada, while showing the lay out of your new boards, you also include their test rig boards. Cool idea.

* Do you happen to know what the MTBF is for the POGO Pins your test jigs use ?
* Are they the same pins Adafruit sells, e.g. https://www.adafruit.com/?q=pogo%20pins& ?

Thanks so much for all you all do!
- Howard in Florida

HowardP

Re: Suggestion - and MTBF of POGO PINS?

by adafruit_support_rick on Sun Apr 10, 2016 4:02 pm

Those are the same pins. No idea on MTBF, but I'll pass along your topic suggestion!

adafruit_support_rick

by paulf8080 on Tue Apr 12, 2016 2:57 am

I feel like being picky. A pogo pin doesn't age over time. There may be a spec for max insertions though.

paulf8080

by franklin97355 on Tue Apr 12, 2016 4:20 pm

This may not be the exact pin but is similar. https://cdn.harwin.com/pdfs/P13-XX23.pdf

franklin97355

by HowardP on Tue Apr 12, 2016 7:48 pm

Thanks, all

paulf8080 wrote:I feel like being picky. A pogo pin doesn't age over time. There may be a spec for max insertions though.

Picky, pogo'ey. LOL. Paul, don't most of them have a spring inside, like the one Rick referenced ? (Sorry, it's been years since I had to use them :))

HowardP

by paulf8080 on Tue Apr 12, 2016 10:50 pm

HowardP wrote:Thanks, all

paulf8080 wrote:I feel like being picky. A pogo pin doesn't age over time. There may be a spec for max insertions though.

Picky, pogo'ey. LOL. Paul, don't most of them have a spring inside, like the one Rick referenced ? (Sorry, it's been years since I had to use them :))

They have a springs in them. Spring design engineers, like my father, can put parameters into equations that will tell you roughly how many times you can compress the spring before it fails. He built contraptions that did life tests by compressing over and over.

paulf8080

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.