📣📪 🚚 Adafruit will not be shipping USPS orders Monday October 14, 2019 🗓. Expedited USPS orders placed after 11am ET 🕚 Friday October 11 will go out Tuesday October 15 📣📪🚚

location of people in an enclosed building
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

location of people in an enclosed building

by mathiasarin on Mon Apr 25, 2016 10:48 am

Hello!
I am starting this project in which I want to find a way to locate people in an enclosed building. The idea is doing it using BLE (Bluetooth Low Energy).
The person should only carry a "pasive" element and on the walls should be "receiving devices".
The pasive device I think it should be a BLE transmitter and receiver powered by a coin cell (battery).
The devices on the wall should also be BLE transmitters and receivers but with no problem of consumption.
The all the devices on the walls should connect with a central station to download all the information and show it on a software.

I see you have great BLE products with Arduino for example.
You think this devices could work the way we need? Which items do you recommend?

The project is the final project of the Engineering carrer i am finishing in Montevideo, Uruguay.

Thanks and best regards
Mathias Arin

mathiasarin

Re: location of people in an enclosed building

by dhalbert on Mon Apr 25, 2016 11:25 am

Long ago (late 1980's - early 1990's), there was interest in "active badges", and several research labs came up with simple systems for these. Most used infrared LED's sending on the badges as transmitters and IR receivers on the walls. If you do a websearch for "active badges", you'll find a bunch of descriptions, such as http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/research/dtg/at ... e/ab.html/

dhalbert

by dhalbert on Tue Apr 26, 2016 12:46 pm

I've thought about this a bit more. BLE would be possible if you used broadcast mode, since you don't want or need to pair up the transmitters with the receivers. However, I believe IR might make more sense for your application, because you won't have an issue of transmission through walls. It will also be cheaper, because the transmitters and receivers are simple and inexpensive.

These tutorials cover using IR sensors and transmitters. They're partly in the context of TV remote controls and the like, but you don't need to stick to those specs.
https://learn.adafruit.com/using-an-infrared-library
https://learn.adafruit.com/ir-sensor

(customer, not staff)

dhalbert

by mathiasarin on Tue Apr 26, 2016 2:40 pm

Thank you for your replies.
We don´t discard using IR technology but we would like to try using BLE. I understad that IR is cheaper and faster to develop but we still want to try it with BLE, because I think that with this hard way we are going to learn more about BLE. Besides, the portable transmitter could be easier to carry with BLE.
Maybe we can use IR to find the position and BLE to download the info from the IR receivers to the central monitor station.

mathiasarin

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.