TSL2561

Our weekly LIVE video chat. Every Wednesday at 8pm ET!

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
chellia

TSL2561

Post by chellia »

Hi,

I want to connect three TSL2561 sensors to the same I2C bus. I know that I can assign to each sensor a different address by connecting the address pin either to VCC or GND or keeping it unconnected. My question is regarding the pullup resistors set. What I know is that each TSL2561 breakout board contains a pullup resistors set. If I connect 3 TSL2561 sensors to the same I2C bus only one set of pullup resistors should be used on that I2C bus. This means that I need to remove the pullup resistors in 2 of the TSL2561 that I want to connect and keep the pullup resistor in only one TSL2561 (reminder I have 3 TSL2561 connected on the same I2C bus). Is my understanding correct? Do I need to remove 2 pullup resistors set? How can I remove these pullup resistors without damaging the breakout board?

adafruit_support_bill

Re: TSL2561

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

only one set of pullup resistors should be used on that I2C bus.
This is not necessarily true.

The pullups used on these sensors are 10Kohms which is a relatively 'weak' pullup. 3 sets of 10K pullups on the same bus is only 3.3K and will not cause a problem. You might run into problem when you have 4 or more, In that case the extra pullups can be removed.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Ask an Engineer! VIDEO CHAT (closed)”