x0xb0x Project Status 2010 - please read!

What's happening in 2010 to best support the x0xb0x project!

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
dnigrin

Re: x0xb0x Project Status 2010 - please read!

Post by dnigrin »

I don't understand why Adafruit is being so cryptic. Why not just say what you're planning you guys? One way or the other, we'll all be fine, but don't leave your customers in the lurch in the mean time.

adafruit

Post by adafruit »

dnigrin wrote:I don't understand why Adafruit is being so cryptic. Why not just say what you're planning you guys? One way or the other, we'll all be fine, but don't leave your customers in the lurch in the mean time.
hi dnigrin - we do not know exactly what we are going to do yet - once we do we'll update the blog, the post here and the project page.

cheers,
adafruit

exactspace

Post by exactspace »

adafruit wrote:At this time (4/2010) the waiting list is closed and no longer will be used. Our data retention policy for this list is as follows -- We do not retain email addresses or names, if you signed up you can safely assume the list has been deleted, you will never be contacted by Adafruit or anyone else. We respect your privacy. We hate spam. We created a video of the tour of the empty waiting list, you're welcome to review it here http://www.adafruit.com/pt/x0xzero.m4v.
So you just delete the waiting list and don't contact them letting them know what's going on? How about all the people that are still waiting and haven't checked this forum to see that you are no longer taking requests? Now there's tons of people that are still waiting patiently, as you demanded on your FAQ before updating it. Before you deleted all those email addresses, you should have emailed us. I'm glad I looked to see what was going on in this forum, but seriously, what is your excuse for not emailing everyone on the waiting list?

phono

Post by phono »

exactspace wrote:
adafruit wrote:At this time (4/2010) the waiting list is closed and no longer will be used. Our data retention policy for this list is as follows -- We do not retain email addresses or names, if you signed up you can safely assume the list has been deleted, you will never be contacted by Adafruit or anyone else. We respect your privacy. We hate spam. We created a video of the tour of the empty waiting list, you're welcome to review it here http://www.adafruit.com/pt/x0xzero.m4v.
So you just delete the waiting list and don't contact them letting them know what's going on? How about all the people that are still waiting and haven't checked this forum to see that you are no longer taking requests? Now there's tons of people that are still waiting patiently, as you demanded on your FAQ before updating it. Before you deleted all those email addresses, you should have emailed us. I'm glad I looked to see what was going on in this forum, but seriously, what is your excuse for not emailing everyone on the waiting list?
there is no excuse and none is needed, no money was taken from anyone without a kit being available and the project is completely open source. If you'd taken a little more notice of the forums here you'll have seen this was coming for a long time.

exactspace

Post by exactspace »

phono wrote: there is no excuse and none is needed, no money was taken from anyone without a kit being available and the project is completely open source. If you'd taken a little more notice of the forums here you'll have seen this was coming for a long time.
phono, I knew for a long time that the project was open source. To me, it's irresponsible for a business to not notify it's customers that something isn't available that they've requested and are patiently waiting for. Who's to say they are going to check the forums? It's just going to leave a lot of people on a bad note. :(

On top of that, there's a video showing all the contacts and requests were deleted. Okay, we were interested in doing business with you, but you deleted us and didn't even let us know what was going on? And adafruit said it was for our security? Why do you think we're worried about the integrity of Gmail? It just seems like an excuse to me.

So, they don't want to offer kits anymore. That's fine. It just boggles my mind as to why they didn't send out an email. When people find out... four months now ...they won't feel so interested in buying products from adafruit again.

adafruit

Post by adafruit »

exactspace wrote:phono, I knew for a long time that the project was open source. To me, it's irresponsible for a business to not notify it's customers that something isn't available that they've requested and are patiently waiting for. Who's to say they are going to check the forums? It's just going to leave a lot of people on a bad note. :( On top of that, there's a video showing all the contacts and requests were deleted. Okay, we were interested in doing business with you, but you deleted us and didn't even let us know what was going on? And adafruit said it was for our security? Why do you think we're worried about the integrity of Gmail? It just seems like an excuse to me. So, they don't want to offer kits anymore. That's fine. It just boggles my mind as to why they didn't send out an email. When people find out... four months now ...they won't feel so interested in buying products from adafruit again.
hi exactspace - phil from adafruit support here. when it was clear to us that we were not going to be able to ship x0x kits via the waiting list i reviewed the waiting list and found that over 50% of the emails were duplicates, fakes, spams and mostly useless. since forums and site is very active i chose to alert folks that way. because privacy is important and we don't know what google/gmail will ultimately do with contacts or emails we removed them all. the list was to notify you *if* a kit was waiting for you, that was all. these are the things i considered, this is what i did - you can contact me directly if you'd like ([email protected]).

we're working extremely hard to figure out the best way to get real live x0xb0xes to as many people as possible with help, with partners and with people in the community - when we have an update you'll see it here first.

we appreciate the interest in the project and going forward we'll try hard to manage expectations better.

cheers,
adafruit (phil)

toxaco

Post by toxaco »

I put my name on the list Feb 2008, when i realised that the chances of me getting a full kit were getting slim i self sourced.

It isn't difficult, with the help of people on the forum it is actually quite painless.

Look in the x0xshop and everything you need to build a x0x is still for sale there.

Stop bitching at the people who have put together one of the best synth diy projects ever !!!

AND ENJOY ! :D !

textile

Post by textile »

toxaco wrote:I put my name on the list Feb 2008, when i realised that the chances of me getting a full kit were getting slim i self sourced.

It isn't difficult, with the help of people on the forum it is actually quite painless.

Look in the x0xshop and everything you need to build a x0x is still for sale there.

Stop bitching at the people who have put together one of the best synth diy projects ever !!!

AND ENJOY ! :D !

Hear Hear! :D

adafruit

Post by adafruit »

ok folks, big news - (read below) - i am closing this thread.

======================

Adafruit is thrilled to be working with Willzyx Music, the x0xb0x is back.

http://www.willzyx.com/

In our previous post & announcement we let everyone know that we would unable to support the project in the best way possible and we would be figuring out what we can do to help people get kits again.

So, big news – we were very lucky enough to find someone who can devote the time, resources and support to x0xb0x – Meet James of Willzyx Music, he writes -
I just spent the last 10 years working in a San Francisco music shop and I really liked my job. I loved that I was helping people make music and that’s something that I still want to be a part of. Me and my wife have been making plans on moving to Taiwan for a number years and in 2009 we took the plunge. During 2009 I was selling completed x0xb0x’s on eBay under the name of bitcrusher76, it was a success and I am continuing on with the opening of my new web store willzyx.com.

My goal with Willzyx Music is to keep supplying the x0xb0x community with Parts and Kits. I have spent the last year building up a stock pile of parts and will bring the Kits back at an affordable price. Any new projects that are produced from Willzyx will have the same MIT open source license, so you can hack, modify and commercialize any of Willzyx’s original designs.
We want to thank James for being part of this with us and we’d like to thank all of customers, fans and everyone who has made the x0xb0x one of the best open source synth projects – LONG LIVE x0xb0X.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “x0xb0x Project Status 2010”