Red Electroluminescent (EL) Tape Strip
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Red Electroluminescent (EL) Tape Strip

by jackharlanderUIC on Thu Jul 05, 2018 2:58 pm

I am ultimately looking for a red LED SHEET, but right now that seems very hard. I am wondering if a certain application of these strips would work. Say I taped 10-15 of these strips parallel to each other to make a "sheet", would that be plausible? Thank you

jackharlanderUIC

Re: Red Electroluminescent (EL) Tape Strip

by caitlinsdad on Thu Jul 05, 2018 9:39 pm

You can look through this EL Wire tutorial https://learn.adafruit.com/el-wire/soldering-to-el-wire to get an idea of how it works but think of a big EL sheet as a really big flattened out piece of EL wire. That said, you would probably have to solder each of the strips from end to end to form a continuous zig zag strip packed in close together. I don't think the final result would look as good as a manufactured sheet. Also, you would need the skills to troubleshoot the setup. Maybe you have the option to think about using neopixels/leds/fiber optics or other methods to light up what you had in mind. Good luck.

caitlinsdad

by adafruit_support_bill on Fri Jul 06, 2018 5:48 am

We do not stock EL panels in red, but they are available from a number of other sources. Here is one:
https://www.amazon.com/10x10cm-Backligh ... B00IMYG0YQ

adafruit_support_bill

by semegraph on Wed Jul 11, 2018 6:09 pm

Also, you can print anything you want on some parchment paper and put it on top of a white EL Panel or tape. I made illuminated pop-up ads using white EL panels for a halloween costume that looked great. You can use red sharpie for something small, or red cellophane for something big.

semegraph

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.