๐Ÿ“ฃ๐Ÿ“ช ๐Ÿšš Adafruit will not be shipping USPS orders Monday January 20, 2020 ๐Ÿ—“. Expedited USPS orders placed after 11am ET ๐Ÿ•š Friday January 17 will go out Tuesday January 21 ๐Ÿ“ฃ๐Ÿ“ช๐Ÿšš

Dotstar panel not working when connected
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Dotstar panel not working when connected

by jessgingery on Wed Sep 11, 2019 12:25 am

Hi,

Im using 4 x Flexible Adafruit DotStar Matrix 16x16 parts and 2 of them are working perfectly when connected to a bluefruit.
Bluefruit.JPG
Bluefruit.JPG (326.33 KiB) Viewed 146 times

Since we only just plugged them all together to create a scrolling sentence, we have seen that 1 of the matrix 16 x 16 panels has an LED that lights up green permanently in the bottom right corner.
Faulty LED.JPG
Faulty LED.JPG (475.82 KiB) Viewed 146 times

Here is the youtube link: https://youtu.be/H9RI72PTj7c

The other panel is not lighting up at all when connected.
4 panels connected.JPG
4 panels connected.JPG (388.21 KiB) Viewed 146 times

We have swapped it out into different combinations and know for sure that there is something wrong with this particular panel.

jessgingery

Re: Dotstar panel not working when connected

by dastels on Wed Sep 11, 2019 10:25 am

You should contact customer support: https://www.adafruit.com/support

dastels

by adafruit_support_carter on Fri Sep 13, 2019 4:29 pm

Did you test the panels individually before chaining them together? If not, can you backup with your wiring and somehow do that now?

adafruit_support_carter

by jessgingery on Sat Sep 14, 2019 1:43 pm

HI there,

I have wired each matrix panel to power via the bluefruit individually.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qrnBK5FHoRY

All but three respond, the last one does not.
IMG_1882_closeup.jpg
IMG_1882_closeup.jpg (110.01 KiB) Viewed 100 times

Thanks for reading this. Let me know what you think.
Attachments
MATRIX TESTING.jpg
MATRIX TESTING.jpg (754.25 KiB) Viewed 100 times

jessgingery

by adafruit_support_carter on Mon Sep 16, 2019 12:50 pm

Thanks. Good set of tests.

For the one panel with the green LED - does that show up even with initial power? So no data signal from the Feather, just power to the panel. And when you are running it with the Feather, does it ever change at all?

For the non-responding panel, can you post a photo of the backside. And please try a higher resolution photo so we can see if there are any obvious hardware issues.

adafruit_support_carter

by jessgingery on Thu Sep 19, 2019 7:57 pm

Thank you for your response.

I have attached some higher res images of the non responding matrix panel that is not working.
matrix_back1.jpg
matrix_back1.jpg (865.65 KiB) Viewed 63 times

matrix_back2.jpg
matrix_back2.jpg (999.22 KiB) Viewed 63 times

matrix_back3.jpg
matrix_back3.jpg (981.76 KiB) Viewed 63 times

As for the panel with the green LED, when running it through the feather the LED stays green. When it is connected to power without a signal it is also green.

I am in an urgent situation now and if possible would like to know if these panels can be fixed/replaced in the next 2 weeks? Can you share any more information about next steps and how this might be resolved?

I see that you are out of stock of the Dotstar matrix 16 x16 at the moment. The particular exhibit piece I am working on relies on 4 working matrix panels. If they are out of stock for the foreseeable future, would the NeoPixel matrix panels be the best alternative. Can they be connected together and be coded in a similar way and be as flexible?

Thank you

jessgingery

by adafruit_support_carter on Mon Sep 23, 2019 5:38 pm

OK - let's just replace these. All your setup seems fine and correct. So not sure why they are behaving that way. And really no easy way to fix them, esp. with not knowing the underlying issue.

NeoPixel vs. DotStar - the main tradeoff is update rate. DotStars are faster. So if you are doing something that requires a fast refresh, then take that into consideration.

In terms of stock availability, I'll let support help you with that. Send an email to support@adafruit.com with a link to this thread and your order number and they can send you 2 replacement panels. Sorry you ran into these issues. Hope the project comes together OK.

adafruit_support_carter

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.