Reading bitmap images from a computer

EL Wire/Tape/Panels, LEDs, pixels and strips, LCDs and TFTs, etc products from Adafruit

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
halasz

Reading bitmap images from a computer

Post by halasz »

The command loadBMP( , ) of the Adafruit ImageReader Library reads a bitmap image into the RAM of an Arduino board from an SD card. I want to transfer such an image directly from my computer via WiFi.

More specifically, I have got an Arduino UNO WIFI Rev2 and I need the bmp file in the RAM in a form suitable for the draw( , , ) function of the above library to display it on an Adafruit tft.

Is it possible? I guess so but, being a layman in programming, I need simple commands like the ones quoted or sketches as intelligibly explained as is customary in Arduino and Adafruit examples. Any help would be welcome.

Gabor Halasz

jim_lee

Re: Reading bitmap images from a computer

Post by jim_lee »

ON an UNO? that would be a little rough with such a small RAM space. BUT.. You probably could transfer the file from Wifi to temp file on your SD card. Then use the library that you already know to draw that temp file to the display.

-jim lee

halasz

Post by halasz »

Jim,

Thank you for your reply.

My board is a UNO WIFI Rev2 and, for one thing, it has got a much bigger RAM than the UNO. For another, the image I have in mind occupies only a small part of the display. Therefore, unless the file transfer needs much additional RAM, the RAM size would not cause any problem.

The two step solution you are suggesting would also suit me.

Gabor

halasz

Post by halasz »

Unfortunately, I don't even know how to send files from a computer to an SD card of a board via a wired connection, let alone via WiFi. (My board is an Arduino UNO WIFI Rev2, attached to it an Adafruit tft display breakout having an SD socket.)

jim_lee

Post by jim_lee »

Well, can you send them through WiFi? As a big 'Ol stream of data bytes? I guess that would be your first problem to work on.

-jim lee

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Glowy things (LCD, LED, TFT, EL) purchased at Adafruit”