uploading image to "Light Painting Kit"

EL Wire/Tape/Panels, LEDs, pixels and strips, LCDs and TFTs, etc products from Adafruit

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
Henryf111

uploading image to "Light Painting Kit"

Post by Henryf111 »

Hello I recently bought and assembled the Light Painting Kit, with much success! However, I can't seem to get it off of its pre-downloaded image--no matter what I do when I plug it into my laptop and click "download toMiniPOV4", the lights go red green blue, but never stop (singling its finished downloading). I tried both the test images and ones I made on my own, what may be going on here/am I missing something? Can this chip only hold one image do I need to clear it somehow? Much thanks I look forward to figuring it out so I can use it!!

Henryf111

Re: uploading image to "Light Painting Kit"

Post by Henryf111 »

Can someone please get in contact with me to send another of the "1 x Programmed 8-bit Microcontroller - Atmega328P-PU" for the mini Pov4 project. I belive this may be the problem and would like to get a replace and see if I can still make it work.
Thanks,
-H

adafruit_support_carter

Post by adafruit_support_carter »

The chip can only hold one image, which is stored in EEPROM. The image upload tool does the conversion and programming of the EEPROM to whatever new image you try to select:
https://learn.adafruit.com/minipov4-diy ... oad-images

What operating system are you using?

Is the MiniPOV still working in terms of showing the original image?

Henryf111

Post by Henryf111 »

Unfortunately, it no longer displays the original image I am afraid I deleted it somehow. If it is deleted should I still be able to upload the same (which I can still not successfully do)? Or will this require buying a new chip?

adafruit_support_carter

The image data is stored in EEPROM. The firmware (software) lives in flash, which then reads from the EEPROM. The image upload command only writes to EEPROM, so it's unlikely the actual software has been altered. If it's still acting like it's at least trying to upload, then it's probably OK. It could just be the actual image data itself isn't getting over correctly.

Just to make sure what you're doing - you're following the process per the guide? You're using the Processing program, etc?
https://learn.adafruit.com/minipov4-diy ... oad-images

As a sanity check, you can try using the example PNG (at bottom of guide page):
https://learn.adafruit.com/assets/16191
as a starting point and see if that converts and uploads successfully.

Henryf111

Post by Henryf111 »

Yes I'm sorry I should have been more specific! So I attempted the instructions via https://learn.adafruit.com/minipov4-diy ... oad-images 4 times (twice on mac and twice on windows via bootcamp) and although it would give the downloading (striping light pattern) nothing would change. The pacman would remain despite even trying the test image you cited. Then in desperation I had a friend try stuff with it I on Arduino IDE (which I don't know how to use) and in the process, the image got deleted and it no longer does the downloading striping light pattern, thus why I thought maybe I would need a new chip. Hope this clarification can provide the info you need to make a decision on what I should do. My guess is it's not connecting to the laptop anymore which is BANNED.

adafruit_support_carter

Then in desperation I had a friend try stuff with it I on Arduino IDE (which I don't know how to use) and in the process, the image got deleted and it no longer does the downloading striping light pattern, thus why I thought maybe I would need a new chip.
Can you provide more information on what you did here? Trying to program the board with the Arduino IDE could potentially overwrite the firmware.

Henryf111

Post by Henryf111 »

Unfortunately, because I don't know Arduino IDE like I was saying I can't tell you but my suspicion is that it did overwrite the firmware (hence it not doing to uploading led pattern), and is why I was hoping to get another chip. Is there any way this is possible? Sorry I can't provide any more specifics it was just a friend playing with it on Arduino IDE and it got deleted that is all I know.

Henryf111

Post by Henryf111 »

Just asked him he said he found code for the project online and tried to upload it but it ran into error messages.

adafruit_support_carter

OK, going to see if we can send you a replacement chip. Otherwise, will just send you a replacement kit. Support will probably contact you via the email thread you already have going with them.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Glowy things (LCD, LED, TFT, EL) purchased at Adafruit”