NeoPixel C++ library for Windows?

EL Wire/Tape/Panels, LEDs, pixels and strips, LCDs and TFTs, etc products from Adafruit

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
cyourch

NeoPixel C++ library for Windows?

Post by cyourch »

I'm writing a C++ app using Microsoft Visual Studio on Windows 10. I'd like to control multiple NeoPixel light strips.

I've seen (and used) the Adafruit_Neopixel library for the Arduino and am wondering if you have a C/C++ Library or code to control the Neopixels from a Windows app?

Thanks for an awesome product!

Chris

adafruit_support_bill

Re: NeoPixel C++ library for Windows?

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

Controlling Neopixels from a Windows App would not be easy. The timing constraints for driving the pixels are very tight, and a multitasking operating system like Windows needs to divide up the CPU time to service several applications and background services.

To guarantee proper timing, the Arduino library disables all interrupts while writing to the pixels. To do that in a Windows system, you would need to write a kernel-level driver. Tools and libraries for writing kernel-level drivers can be found in the WDK which can be downloaded from Microsoft.

A simpler approach would be to control the pixels from an Arduino program - and have your windows app send it commands via the USB/Serial connection.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Glowy things (LCD, LED, TFT, EL) purchased at Adafruit”