PiTFT 2.4 White Screen

EL Wire/Tape/Panels, LEDs, pixels and strips, LCDs and TFTs, etc products from Adafruit

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
EdTaggart

PiTFT 2.4 White Screen

Post by EdTaggart »

I have read through the forum to see if this was already answered and it appears to be a common enough issue. I have the 2.4 version of the PiTFT and I'm having the white screen issue. I have tried the pre-made image for the 2.8 because it says it should work on the 2.4, and also a fresh Jessie-Lite with adjusted config.txt settings that are supposed to work. I have re-seated the ribbon cable 1000 times, and checked to make sure it's fully inserted. The copper shows more on the ribbon than on the 2.8 but it looks exactly like the image on the product page.
Closeup
Closeup
IMG_6095.JPG (528.91 KiB) Viewed 304 times
I am not using a direct plug connection onto the pi as I'm using pi-zero and do not need all the pins. I really only need the necessary pins to make this work, so I have connected 5v, 3.3v GND, and the SPI pins (SCK, MOSI, MISO, CE0, CE1) I also connected the 2 GPIO pins as well as ID_SC and IC_SD as it looked like they went to something important. I haven't ruled out that I am missing a wire, but after checking and double checking, it appears there is something else.
What are the pins necessary to make the panel function, are there more than just what is listed, or is there a specific pin for ground, or power, or something that is separate that must be used? Or do I have a bad board?

adafruit_support_rick

Re: PiTFT 2.4 White Screen

Post by adafruit_support_rick »

You connected GPIO24 and GPIO 25?
You may also need to connect EECLK and EEDATA. Can you try that?

You're using stock Jessie-lite? Can you try the ready-to-go image from here:
https://learn.adafruit.com/adafruit-2-4 ... sy-install

Do you have the headers soldered to your Zero? If so, can you try plugging in the PiTFT directly?

EdTaggart

Post by EdTaggart »

Thanks for the reply Rick, I have tried both the prebuilt image as well as Jessie-Lite. The prebuilt image loads on HDMI up until it switches to the TFT then shows no further data. Jessie-lite loads to login on the HDMI screen. I have connected the EECLK, and EEData, they looked like they were connected to something, thought it was not mentioned they were needed. I also have the 2 required GPIO pins connected. I have also done a pin continuity test between the board and the zero, to confirm connections are correct and making contact. I do not have a header on either the PITFT or the Zero. This is going inside a Gameboy Color, so the thickness is a major concern. I have attached a picture of the connections on the TFT board. Please confirm these are the only connections needed, or if there is something I'm missing.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (430.65 KiB) Viewed 284 times
Let me know if there is anything else I should try.
Thanks,

adafruit_support_rick

That looks right. You're sure you have them wired to the Zero the right way around?

Have you got SSH going? Can you post the output of sudo dmesg
I'll check around here for ideas.

EdTaggart

Post by EdTaggart »

I'll reconfirm the connections between the zero and the TFT board, and make sure there are no bridges connections. I will also confirm voltage across pins while the unit is running.
I can find a way to get into the device through ssh and post the output of the dmesg.
Thanks for the help, hopefully we can get this sorted.

adafruit2

Post by adafruit2 »

its probably some wiring thats missing, we really suggest using only the headers that come with it, that way you can know for sure all the pins are connected!

EdTaggart

Post by EdTaggart »

adafruit2 wrote:its probably some wiring thats missing, we really suggest using only the headers that come with it, that way you can know for sure all the pins are connected!
I'm not ruling out that there is an additional wire needed, looking over the board I don't see anything else that is connected, unless one of the ground points on the board is isolated from the rest of the ground plane. That is actually my first question; what exactly are the necessary connection points for the board? Connecting the header is not really an option on this build and should be irrelevant provided the connections are sound, which I will double check and confirm. i looked over the build drawings for the 2.8 TFT, but there are no spec drawings showing the traces for the 2.4.
I'll dig a little deeper into the connections and make sure no connections are crossed, or bridged.

EdTaggart

Post by EdTaggart »

Good News! I found the issue, as suspected it was a connection, but completely my error. There was a small strand of wire, from the stranded wire used that under the board and made context when the board was installed but not when the board was removed. As I tested the pins I found a bridge and remedied it. The screen booted fine after that.
Thanks for the great and patient customer support! Hopefully I won't need anymore.
-Ed
IMG_6103.JPG
IMG_6103.JPG (475.86 KiB) Viewed 253 times

adafruit_support_rick

Nice!

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Glowy things (LCD, LED, TFT, EL) purchased at Adafruit”