NeoPixel powered by Molex - Questions

EL Wire/Tape/Panels, LEDs, pixels and strips, LCDs and TFTs, etc products from Adafruit

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
dotpan

NeoPixel powered by Molex - Questions

Post by dotpan »

I'm considering a project of doing custom case lighting using a FadeCandy (connected to internal 4pin usb to the mother board) and powered by Molex (off the computers PSU) using just the 5v from the Molex.. I'm rather new to this stuff and want to make sure I don't damage anything and do this right, I'd love any input I could get.

Details:
2M NeoPixel 60LED/Meter strip.
1 FadeCandy - Connected via internal 4pin USB adapter to motherboard
1 4-pin AT/ATX/IDE power cable - To make the wiring of power easier.

I know I should get a capacitor too, but I'm not sure how big (could someone link to a product).

Franklin97355

Re: NeoPixel powered by Molex - Questions

Post by Franklin97355 »

Take a look at this Neopixel Uberguide before you get started. This should work for you.

dotpan

Post by dotpan »

Excellent thank you.

dotpan

Post by dotpan »

Being that I'm exceptionally new at this. If I were to wire all of this, what kind of wire would you advise to go from the 4 pin (only using the 5v and Grnd lines) to the NeoPixel strip? Also, could I use the capasitor in relation with that 4pin adapter and if so, how would I solder it/put it inline? Sorry for the 20 questions, just don't want to burn out $100 project by not knowing.

Franklin97355

Post by Franklin97355 »

I would solder the cap on the plug you use to connect to the PC power supply. Which controller do you plan to use?

dotpan

Post by dotpan »

I plan to use the FadeCandy as the controller (Just ordered it).

Essentially I plan to run a 4pin mother board to USB-female plug and a short usb male to micro usb male from that to the FadeCandy, then solder in the data line for the NeoPixel into the FadeCandy. Thne I'll use the Molex to 4pin AT/ATX adapter to give me an easier way to use the 5v channel from Molex-ATX (Red) that is coming from my computers Power Supply to power the 2M of NeoPixels.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Glowy things (LCD, LED, TFT, EL) purchased at Adafruit”