Due to high demand expect some shipping delays at this time, orders may not ship for 3-4 business days. On MLK Day no orders will be shipped.

Glowing Neopixel Character / Set for Theatrical work.
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Glowing Neopixel Character / Set for Theatrical work.

by kentcaldwell on Sat Feb 25, 2017 5:05 pm

Hi all,

I had some awesome help from the forums here last fall while I was fabricating multiple characters and props that used Neopixels with an nrf24l01 module for wireless control. This was for a collaborative project between Cirque du Soleil and the Nevada Ballet Theatre in Las Vegas.

I finally have some good images / documentation of the project and wanted to post here to share. I'm hoping to do a write up, guide, tutorial, or something, but this project was very multi-faceted so I need to break it down into useful components for folks. I learned a lot about wireless control, state-machine coding to eliminate delay from my code, working with long lengths of wire between neopixels, large scale paper mache sculpture, etc....

Video snippet of the performance is here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U0s4jM2AQ3w

And below I've attached some images from a recent photoshoot, where we could control the lighting a bit more.

Cheers and a massive thank you to the Adafruit forums / support folks who helped me troubleshoot when I was in way over my head with a project on this scale.

GaiaPhotoshoot-secondedits-LQ-5.jpg
GaiaPhotoshoot-secondedits-LQ-5.jpg (455.95 KiB) Viewed 270 times

GaiaPhotoshoot-firstedits-LQ-26.jpg
GaiaPhotoshoot-firstedits-LQ-26.jpg (654.27 KiB) Viewed 270 times

GaiaPhotoshoot-secondedits-LQ-8.jpg
GaiaPhotoshoot-secondedits-LQ-8.jpg (622.23 KiB) Viewed 270 times

kentcaldwell

Re: Glowing Neopixel Character / Set for Theatrical work.

by franklin97355 on Sat Feb 25, 2017 11:09 pm

Nice work!

franklin97355

by adafruit_support_rick on Sun Feb 26, 2017 1:56 pm

Wow! That's really beautiful. How are you syncing the light effects?

adafruit_support_rick

by kentcaldwell on Sun Feb 26, 2017 2:52 pm

Thanks!

..The costume and the set piece in the back both have nrf24l01+ transceiver modules on them and I've got a wireless controller with another transceiver that sends out a simple "mode variable" with a button press so that I could quickly cycle through looks. During the performance, I would time the button press with the moment I wanted the change. So rather than being synced with music (which I couldn't figure out how to do "cheaply" on 9+ costumes) they were dependent on receiving the button presses. This worked really well 95% of the time once I sorted out all the kinks; the range on the nrf24l01+ was very strong, and even in a theater full of bodies and cell phones, could send a clear signal. Some of the smaller costume pieces had regular nrf24l01s on them, so I had to be more careful of their orientation since the range wasn't as good.

kentcaldwell

by franklin97355 on Sun Feb 26, 2017 3:04 pm

Depending on how deep you want to get into this the Vixen lights program is designed to sync Christmas (or other) lights to music

franklin97355

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.