32x32 RGB Matrix Row 11 Bright and off color
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

32x32 RGB Matrix Row 11 Bright and off color

by HunkyMcStudleypants on Fri May 26, 2017 4:17 pm

I received the 32x32 RGB LED Matrix Panel - 6mm pitch[ID:1484] yesterday and opened it up to start working it into my project. I used the Adafruit Tutorial to connect it to my Arduino Uno, downloaded the RGB Matrix Panel Library, and the Adafruit GFX Library and was able to load the examples to my Uno and get the matrix to light up.

All 3 examples worked, however row 11 of the Matrix was always VERY bright and slightly discolored compared to all other rows and columns. All LED’s in row 11 had this issue, no matter which example I chose. I played around with the sketches, changing color values, to see if the results would change, but row 11 always had that appearance.

I was not using a proto-shield, but jumper cables into the ribbon cable (as shown in the tutorial) to connect. I thought there may be a connection issue, so I made 16 jumper wires with a female header on one end and a male header on the other, so that I could bypass the ribbon cable and have a more secure connection. I’m certain all connections were correct, and my Uno was securely connected directly to the panel, but that did not affect the issue.

I was using a 5v 60A power supply, and tried it also with a 5v 4A supply, but still the same issue. Even when the power supply was not on, the Arduino still sent some current to the panel; the LEDs were very dim, but row 11 was still off color and brighter than the rest. When connected to the power supply, when the Arduino was resetting, or before loading the first sketch, row 11 was illuminated, as were other random pixels.

I'm at work right now - not with the panel/project at home. I took a video last night. the below images are just screenshots from that vid. If needed, I can post other images later. The left side of each image is the actual top row of the panel.
Attachments
32x32 RGB LED Matrix 1.png
32x32 RGB LED Matrix 1.png (446.8 KiB) Viewed 72 times
32x32 RGB LED Matrix 2.png
32x32 RGB LED Matrix 2.png (454.36 KiB) Viewed 72 times

HunkyMcStudleypants

Re: 32x32 RGB Matrix Row 11 Bright and off color

by adafruit_support_rick on Wed Jun 14, 2017 9:08 am

Never seen anything like that before. It would not be an issue with wiring, power or software.

Please email support@adafruit.com with a link to this post for a replacement matrix

adafruit_support_rick

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.