NeoPixel 30 LED Black Strip wiring
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

NeoPixel 30 LED Black Strip wiring

by radiok0tw on Sun Jun 18, 2017 12:34 pm

I plan on installing NeoPixel 30 LED strips under my upper cabinets. This means cutting strips to various lengths depending on the width of each cabinet. My question involves the wiring required between these various length strips.

My first 30 LED strip came from Adafruit with a JST connector (with black and white wires), plus red & black wires for power, on each end. Thanks to this forum I found that the JST white wire was for data and that both black wires were ground. I wired it up like that and all worked great. I then made a mid-strip cut and wired the two sections together using a 3-wire cable to connect 5V to 5V, GND to GND, and Dout to Din. That seems to be working fine. Are those 3 connections all I need? In my mind the "extra" black wire from the JST connector to the strip must be electrically connected to GND. Am I missing some important detail here? Thanks.

Tom

radiok0tw

Re: NeoPixel 30 LED Black Strip wiring

by adafruit_support_bill on Sun Jun 18, 2017 1:05 pm

Between different sections of strip, you just need those three connections. If you have more than a couple hundred pixels or so, you should also be feeding power to multiple points on the strip.
http://learn.adafruit.com/adafruit-neop ... -practices

adafruit_support_bill

by radiok0tw on Mon Jun 19, 2017 7:41 am

Thank you, Bill. I appreciate the fast responses I've received here on the Adafruit forums.

My project will have a total of 144 LEDs. I plan to run a 5V & GND buss (#14 zip cord) through the 9 cabinets and I'll tap off that buss every 30 to 40 LEDs, wherever a strip segment begins (or ends) in that range. Of course I'll connect intermediate segments together with 5V/GND. And I'll run one data signal, using JST connectors, from beginning to end of the full 144 LED string.

Tom

radiok0tw

by adafruit_support_bill on Mon Jun 19, 2017 8:00 am

That sounds like a good plan. :)

adafruit_support_bill

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.