DotStars Framebuffer?

EL Wire/Tape/Panels, LEDs, pixels and strips, LCDs and TFTs, etc products from Adafruit

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
xtwombly

DotStars Framebuffer?

Post by xtwombly »

In looking through the Adafruit_DotStars.h file it looks like there are definitions for setting each pixel individually. I was wondering if anyone knows of some code that allows me to use a pointer to a frame buffer that defines the entire string, and when the pointer to that string gets assigned as active then the entire buffer gets sent out with a single command. Kind of like drawing to a display frame buffer and then swapping.

Is there any code like this floating about Adafruit, or elsewhere that anybody knows of? I'll roll my own if needed, but I'm fairly new to microcontroller programming and I'm sure there are all sorts of things I'll miss the first few times through (SPI protocol, dma possibilities, etc) which I'd like to avoid if possible.

Thanks,
Xander

xtwombly

Re: DotStars Framebuffer?

Post by xtwombly »

D'oh! FastLED does the trick, and then some. Nice nitty gritty set of routines for someone who is looking to tinker around inside the display updates.

In case anyone is interested (I was in trying to understand the data flow that loads and sets the LEDs), there is a great explanation of SPI daisy-chaining and how the data is propagated down the LED line and then updated simultaneously https://www.maximintegrated.com/en/app- ... vp/id/3947

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Glowy things (LCD, LED, TFT, EL) purchased at Adafruit”