composite LCD washout over time

EL Wire/Tape/Panels, LEDs, pixels and strips, LCDs and TFTs, etc products from Adafruit

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
toyotaboy

composite LCD washout over time

Post by toyotaboy »

So I use both 3.5" LCD's I hack out of rear view car displays, and the 2" LCD sold on here for projects I make:
https://www.adafruit.com/product/911

I've had a couple customers write back to me about the display getting washed out over time, anywhere from a few months to a full year. My voltages are stable, and it's always been my understanding that a device will only draw as much current as it needs (or at least most devices have failsafes to only draw what it needs). Do I need to solder in an inline resistor to limit the current draw?

adafruit_support_carter

Re: composite LCD washout over time

Post by adafruit_support_carter »

I've had a couple customers write back to me about the display getting washed out over time
Describe what 'washed out' means a little better. And this is happening on the PID 911 display?

toyotaboy

Post by toyotaboy »

Washed out like the brightness is turned way up and can't be turned back down. One of my customers is local, I'm taking photos tonight. Just want to make sure I'm not doing something wrong by supplying 2A supply at 5v.

adafruit_support_carter

Post by adafruit_support_carter »

Should be OK with that power supply. Photos would be very useful. Try and include as much of your setup as possible so we can get an idea of wiring, etc. as well as the washed out display.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Glowy things (LCD, LED, TFT, EL) purchased at Adafruit”