PITFT stops working after sudo apt-get update
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

PITFT stops working after sudo apt-get update

by EnzoCode on Wed Jul 19, 2017 9:15 pm

My PiTFT was working fine, with the custom image flashed on the SD Card. But for downloading programs, they say to run
Code: Select all | TOGGLE FULL SIZE
sudo apt-get upgrade
and
sudo apt-get update
. I do this, then reboot, now I get a white underscore in the upper-left corner. I ssh into the Pi and run
sudo apt-get install raspberrypi-kernel=1.20161027-1
. Then I reboot again and it boots up only showing a white screen. Now I can't SSH into it anymore.

I am using a Pi 3 3.5" TFT

EnzoCode

Re: PITFT stops working after sudo apt-get update

by franklin97355 on Thu Jul 20, 2017 12:51 pm

franklin97355

by EnzoCode on Thu Jul 20, 2017 7:37 pm

I tried doing the DIY installer script, but I was left with a white screen. I will try again. This has been giving me nothing but problems.

EnzoCode

by EnzoCode on Thu Jul 20, 2017 9:53 pm

I attempted doing the DIY script, but I am unable to complete it after 2 tries

EnzoCode

by capsulecorpdev on Sun Jul 23, 2017 10:15 pm

Having the same issue here, tried both of the easy install methods, and the advanced as well, but it still breaks with update. Is there any chance we can get an updated image for this, the last one is rather old. Thank you in advance.

capsulecorpdev

by Mythadar on Mon Jul 24, 2017 9:54 am

I came to the forum in hopes of someone having some trick to getting this to work with the latest update. Sadly, I'm in the same boat with a flashing underline. I'll reinstall and go from there :(

I'm betting that there's some incomparability with the adafruit tft kernel that has to be used for this display and something that gets updated. It'll be nice if they update it.

Mythadar

by adafruit_support_rick on Mon Jul 24, 2017 11:05 am

The problem is the apt-get upgrade. It rewrites the kernel and deletes the Adafruit PiTFT drivers. Please see this FAQ:
https://learn.adafruit.com/adafruit-pit ... =all#faq-1

adafruit_support_rick

by capsulecorpdev on Mon Jul 24, 2017 11:28 am

adafruit_support_rick wrote:The problem is the apt-get upgrade. It rewrites the kernel and deletes the Adafruit PiTFT drivers. Please see this FAQ:
https://learn.adafruit.com/adafruit-pit ... =all#faq-1

Thanks for the reply rick. I had read that section but was unable to rerun the command to fix the issue, as i could not ssh or control the pi from the pitft or any other output method.

So I started with a fresh SD card of the latest raspbian release from the raspberry pi website, booted the pi, did an update, then tried to follow each of the non-image install methods on the pitft guide again. But nothing seems to work, everything leaves the pi unresponsive. The only working solution I can get is copying the prebuilt image and not doing any upgrades.

This was a concern to me because my project will be connected to the internet and I wanted to ensure it wasn't vulnerable to attack. Are there any planned updates to the adafruit image/kernal or perhaps a way to receive the regular system/security upgrades without breaking pitft? Thank you in advance.

capsulecorpdev

by adafruit2 on Mon Jul 24, 2017 1:47 pm

hiya, we'll take a look at why its stopped working (we're due up to make a new image)
for now, the only real security update we recall is ssh was disabled. you can do that by running raspi-config and disabling ssh access :)

adafruit2
Site Admin

by capsulecorpdev on Mon Jul 24, 2017 2:05 pm

adafruit2 wrote:hiya, we'll take a look at why its stopped working (we're due up to make a new image)
for now, the only real security update we recall is ssh was disabled. you can do that by running raspi-config and disabling ssh access :)

Awesome, thank you for the fast reply! If you happen to remember (and I totally won't hold it against you if you don't) drop us a reply here when you folks have a chance to post the updated image, I'll be checking periodically anyways :-) thanks again for all the hard work <3 adafruit.

capsulecorpdev

by capsulecorpdev on Mon Sep 11, 2017 6:54 pm

Hello there, it has been a bit over a month and I have had to abandon 2 projects because the pitft kernal is so out of date that it wont let a lot of new drivers and software needed work with the projects, is there any estimate on when we might get an update for these, rather frustrating to not be able to make use of them, they are not exactly a cheap item.

capsulecorpdev

by adafruit_support_rick on Tue Sep 12, 2017 11:15 am

All I can tell you is that it's being worked on, but I don't have any ETA for release.

adafruit_support_rick

by adafruit2 on Fri Nov 10, 2017 4:09 pm

we spent a bunch of time and fixed a lot of stuff and made it faster too!
try this on a fresh Stretch (don't install our kernel) :)

# cd ~
# wget https://raw.githubusercontent.com/adafruit/Adafruit-PiTFT-Helper/master/adafruit-pitft-helper2.sh
# chmod +x adafruit-pitft-helper2.sh
# sudo ./adafruit-pitft-helper2.sh

adafruit2
Site Admin

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.