Choosing the right equipment
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Choosing the right equipment

by luxmagus on Tue Aug 08, 2017 10:24 am

I am currently looking at making a set of POV poi. I have found and read through multiple guides online and most are using the 144 per .5 meter LED strips and a Teensy 3.1. I was looking to go maybe a step beyond what most guides Im finding and use some type of higher density pixel LED strip. Would I be able to power a higher density LED strip with the teensy and program patterns?

luxmagus

Re: Choosing the right equipment

by adafruit_support_bill on Tue Aug 08, 2017 11:03 am

The limitation on the Trinket is memory. Typically they can handle up to about 100 pixels - depending on the complexity of the code. If you will have more pixels than that, you should consider moving to a Pro Trinket. These can handle up to around 500.

adafruit_support_bill

by Disciple on Tue Aug 08, 2017 1:26 pm

I'm a bystander who may be speaking out of turn but your question made me think.
I don't know where to find a denser strip than 144 per m, but my DIY approach to a POV project would probably be to double each strip. Every strip gets a twin, mounted side-by-side but offset by a half pixel, joined to form one addressable chain. Then I'd pre-split my image data into odd and even pixel rows arranged into upper and lower image partitions. If I did it right, the doubled pixels would produce doubled density in my POV images. (I suppose I'd need bigger batteries, too.) I've never used Teensys, but on paper they're loaded with speed and capacity. They appear well suited. Just some thoughts.

Hallelujah!
Disciple

Disciple

by adafruit_support_bill on Tue Aug 08, 2017 1:44 pm

I've never seen denser strips myself. 144/meter is about as dense as you can reasonably get using the 5050 packages. In theory, they should be possible to make using 3535 or even 2020 form factor pixels.

adafruit_support_bill

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.