PiTFT 2.8" touch interface 90° out of phase with LCD
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

PiTFT 2.8" touch interface 90° out of phase with LCD

by smbyrne4 on Tue Aug 08, 2017 11:47 pm

Hello all,
I got a new resistive touch TFT and the install went well. My problem is that when I drag the stylus vertically the mouse moves horizontally for a 90° orientation( computer style as opposed to smart phone). Turning it upright at 0 and 180 it works fine.

I've tried calibrating in the position using Adafruits instructions with the crosshairs but it continues to be out of phase.
I've also tried flipping the lcd in the config file with display_rotate=0x20000 but it still won't change anything.

Does anyone have any experience with this?

Thanks

smbyrne4

Re: PiTFT 2.8" touch interface 90° out of phase with LCD

by adafruit2 on Thu Aug 10, 2017 10:34 am

https://learn.adafruit.com/adafruit-pit ... alibration

will manually calibrate a resistive touch screen- what PID do you own

adafruit2
Site Admin

by smbyrne4 on Thu Aug 10, 2017 3:27 pm

I have tried the manual calibration and it accepts the crosshair inputs. I can even draw on it fine when the screen is in the orientation I want using the "sudo TSLIB_FBDEVICE=/dev/fb1 TSLIB_TSDEVICE=/dev/input/touchscreen ts_test", but after a reboot to get out of that calibration procedure, the touch interface is back to 90 deg out of phase.

I will try X calibration in a few hours and I am using https://www.adafruit.com/product/2298.

smbyrne4

by adafruit2 on Thu Aug 10, 2017 4:54 pm

thats weird. maybe something is saving/restoring the touch? can you try the 'easy install' image just in case? i mean, it should come up in alignment without any calibration needed!

adafruit2
Site Admin

by smbyrne4 on Thu Aug 10, 2017 5:56 pm

I originally did the easy install and I had this problem but I didnt install the image because I wasn't entirely sure what that meant; I've been using this raspberry pi for a few weeks adn didnt want to install a new image. I then tried the manual calibration which didnt do anything. After that I tried the x calibration adn inserted into the 99-calibration.conf file the appropriate stuff:
section "Inputclass"
Identifier "calibration"
MatchProduct "stmpe-ts"
Option....
Option "SwapXY" ....
EndSection

I have messed around with the SwapXY parameter and nothing at all happens so I am out of ideas now

smbyrne4

by smbyrne4 on Thu Aug 10, 2017 7:09 pm

I've followed what this person did at the bottom of this web page https://github.com/swkim01/waveshare-dtoverlays which is using an option TransormationMatirix in the 99-calibration.conf and it worked although this seems like a hack and it doesn't appear to be robust. If anyone knows a better way to do this please let me know

smbyrne4

by adafruit2 on Fri Aug 11, 2017 1:28 pm

honestly, if it works, its not really a hack :D not sure why your setup is wierd but glad it worsk now!

adafruit2
Site Admin

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.