What do I need for a "GLOWY" thing

EL Wire/Tape/Panels, LEDs, pixels and strips, LCDs and TFTs, etc products from Adafruit

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
marine_hm

What do I need for a "GLOWY" thing

Post by marine_hm »

I want to make a glowing mug for my grand daughter. That lights up, changes colors, sparkles, etc. Probably something very small that can be stuck to the underneath recess of the "ROOTBEER" style mug. What do I need? Gemma or something else like trinket mini? RGB leds, small LIPO battery?

Driver: Looking through the store; I see the Gemma and Flora. Which is best for this project.

Lights: I'm going with the Neopixel rings. Size ring will depend on the size of the mug I find, so, no worries there.

Battery: Lipoly would be best or maybe button battery?. Assuming they will provide enough power to run the driver and leds for at least an hour?

Library: I see the neopixel library in my Arduino IDE. I will have to play around with it to get the hang of shifting colors and patterns.

It looks like I'm down to driver and battery selection that I need help with. Thanks!
Last edited by marine_hm on Thu Aug 10, 2017 9:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

Disciple

Re: What do I need for a "GLOWY" thing

Post by Disciple »

The smallest idea I have is to connect a Diffused 5mm Fast Flashing RGB LED to a coin battery and glue that to the base. You could add a battery holder to allow replacement, and maybe rig a spring wire to break the circuit until the mug is lifted. Simple but colorful. Just a thought.

I've also seen inexpensive toys, plastic rings, bouncy balls, squishy balls, that have colorful LED blinkers in them that flash when moved. Extracting one of these and securing it to a mug is another quick solution, one I learned from a tutorial.

Hallelujah!
Disciple

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Glowy things (LCD, LED, TFT, EL) purchased at Adafruit”