Neopixels, Feather 32u4 Bluefruit LE and Bluefruit Control A
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Neopixels, Feather 32u4 Bluefruit LE and Bluefruit Control A

by BradCzerwinski on Fri Aug 11, 2017 6:07 pm

Hello all,

I am new to the Arduino and the ATMega processor but I have experience with Basic Stamps and the Propeller Chip from Parallax. I have also worked with the PIC microcontrollers. That being said I kind of feel like an idiot just trying to get a single Neopixel to light up. I purchased a couple breadboard friendly Neopixels and a Feather 32u4 BLE. I have also watched the video of LadyAda selecting colors off of the control app and seeing them appear on multiple types of Neopixels. I have found it to not be that easy. I have been unable to find even a simple example of how to do that. To the point.
1. I have uploaded the control app to the feather board and have been able to connect my phone to the feather. Very cool. I have been able to view the data from my phone on the Arduino serial terminal displaying the Hex color data.
2. I have tried to upload a strand test example app to the feather but it errors out saying that it is not valid for the 32u4 board. I'm guessing this is due to my lack of familiarity with the ATMega chip and Arduino programing.
3. My setup:
a. I have loaded the feather library for the 32u4 board in the Arduino SDK. (as outlined in the feather 32u4 learning guide)
b. I am using io pin 6 on the feather for Dout to the set of NeoPixels. (3V3 output)
c. I am powering the 10 Neopixels using an external power supply set to 4V0.
d. I have also read the uber guide but I am thinking I have missed something basic. One step forward two steps back.

If anyone can point me in the right direction I would be very grateful.

Thanks in advance,
Brad C...

BradCzerwinski

Re: Neopixels, Feather 32u4 Bluefruit LE and Bluefruit Contr

by adafruit_support_carter on Wed Aug 16, 2017 11:44 am

Please post a photo of your setup showing all connections so we can take a look. What version of the Arduino IDE are you using?

I have tried to upload a strand test example app to the feather but it errors out saying that it is not valid for the 32u4 board.

This seems odd. We should try to figure out what's going on here. This would be a first good step in trouble shooting - just make sure basic NeoPixel functionality works. But first, let's make sure the overall hardware setup is good. The photos will help with that.

adafruit_support_carter

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.