10x10x10 Neopixel Cube - Am I crazy?
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

10x10x10 Neopixel Cube - Am I crazy?

by AdamLemonade on Sat Aug 12, 2017 5:50 am

Howdy strangers,

I have a dream of building a pretty large LED cube out of Neopixel 8mm through-hole LEDs. I know it's a big job structurally, and I've already resolved myself to spending a lot of time breathing in solder fumes etc, but what I'm really concerned about is that I'll make a start on this massive project without fully understanding some serious technical limitations.

So, a bit of an open question, but is there anything I should know before I order in my LEDs? Will power supply be a problem? Do I really need to put a 0.1 µF capacitor between + and ground on *each* pixel? Should I completely abandon this approach and think anew? (I know that using panels or strips would make my life a lot easier, but I love the look of through-hole cubes).

Thanks for your help!
Adam

AdamLemonade

Re: 10x10x10 Neopixel Cube - Am I crazy?

by caitlinsdad on Sat Aug 12, 2017 10:30 am

I think ambitious would be a more appropriate word. You need to get a more qualified answer but what kind of microcontroller do you plan on using? The arduino UNO can handle max about 500 neopixels as they take up a lot of RAM and then if you are doing fancy animations, the processing of a 10x10x10 matrix-array might slow an arduino down. A teensy or newer M0 based feather boards or raspberry pi might be up to the task. It's hard to calculate the additional working memory needed to manipulate that huge array. You need to consider how you are going to hardwire the matrix in an organized manner to facilitate addressing the neopixels and feed power to blocks/segments accordingly. Good luck.

caitlinsdad

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.