Led strip all white = not enough battery power?

EL Wire/Tape/Panels, LEDs, pixels and strips, LCDs and TFTs, etc products from Adafruit

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
dlinsalata

Led strip all white = not enough battery power?

Post by dlinsalata »

Hey all -

I built the gemma-powered scarf (https://learn.adafruit.com/animated-neo ... -fur-scarf) - great guide, thank you! I built it a couple weeks ago and was really enjoying it.

I went to re-program it yesterday, and after uploading the whole strip just stayed white + the red reset-indicator light was a dull solid red. Based on my research on the forums, it appears that the most likely cause is that the battery was too low (I was powering it off a USB 2 hub connected to my macbook).

Does that sound like the right diagnosis? I'm going to charge the battery off a wall outlet tonight and try again, and I wanted to see if there was anything else I should research beforehand (like, could I have somehow messed up the bootloader?...although all I did was upload a slightly tweaked version of the provided code.)

Thanks!

splatten

Re: Led strip all white = not enough battery power?

Post by splatten »

How may LED's do you have in the strip?

dlinsalata

Post by dlinsalata »

~77 (half of what the project calls for). It was working fine for a while and seems like it stopped on my latest code upload.

I charged the battery fully last night and tried to run it off that - now it doesn't even get to white LEDs - just turns on with the reset light on dimly. It seems almost like when I was running it off USB3...except I can't think of anything that changed from when I had this working minus re-uploading the code.

splatten

Post by splatten »

You can calculate the amount of current required based on the number of LED's and the RGB values you are trying to send to the LED's. I have blown small power supplies before that did not have current limiting on them. You are driving it from batteries, whats the maximum current you can draw? Is it sufficient?

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Glowy things (LCD, LED, TFT, EL) purchased at Adafruit”