pitft and debian stretch

EL Wire/Tape/Panels, LEDs, pixels and strips, LCDs and TFTs, etc products from Adafruit

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
rquint

pitft and debian stretch

Post by rquint »

I have a 3.5" PiTFT on a Pi2 running without any problem (well, except for no right click; I know twofing can be used, but I'm using a stylus) on Jessie. I'd like to try using the new Raspbian Stretch, hoping that the no right click introduced in Jessie (recall it worked with Wheezy) might be resolved. However there are many little changes in Stretch that have stymied the Adafruit scripts for getting the touch screen to work. Anyone know what to do? Is there a possibility Adafruit will do an update to get it working again.

lbendlin

Re: pitft and debian stretch

Post by lbendlin »

Same situation here. I tried a dist-upgrade from Jessie to Stretch and it kinda-sorta worked but is obviously not a clean way of doing things, and will most likely not address your issue or mine with the mouse not working correctly on pygame unless you patch SDL back to wheezy.

I also found that the tutorial https://learn.adafruit.com/adafruit-pit ... sy-install no longer works as the kernel breaks the bootloader

mikevanis

Post by mikevanis »

Just tried to follow this, and I got the following error:

Code: Select all

W: GPG error: http://apt.adafruit.com/raspbian wheezy InRelease: The following signatures were invalid: 58A1FE78D61C7C13E28B92A7C24E6D5378661FA5
W: The repository 'http://apt.adafruit.com/raspbian wheezy InRelease' is not signed.
N: Data from such a repository can't be authenticated and is therefore potentially dangerous to use.
N: See apt-secure(8) manpage for repository creation and user configuration details.
Could it be that we're all having a problem because of an out-of-date distro?

elliotboney

Post by elliotboney »

Yeah I ran the installation scripts from the how to on stretch and definitely broke the bootloader. Looking forward to a solution to this to get my tft going!

mikevanis

Post by mikevanis »

I'm assuming that Adafruit are running around trying to fix all the Stretch issues. I have now reverted to Jessie, as the networking stack is also considerably different in Stretch and breaks the lovely Adafruit WiFi Access Point tutorial.

M

elliotboney

Post by elliotboney »

I just got mine to work on a fresh copy of stretch with this:

Code: Select all

cd
git clone https://github.com/goodtft/LCD-show.git
cd LCD-show
chmod +x LCD35-show
sudo ./LCD35-show
Then just a reboot, and voila!

raminf

Post by raminf »

FWIW tried the LCD-show script on a working Pi3 running latest 2017 Raspbian Stretch with a 2.8" TFT. It hung on next boot. Edited cmdline.txt to go into single-user mode but it would freeze before even getting there. The LCD-show script doesn't back up any of the old config files. It just overwrites them with its own copies so there's no way to revert back.

Unfortunately, out of time to debug individual issues. Currently re-flashing the SD card with the 2016 Jessie version from the Adafruit site just so I can get on with the rest of the project.

Too bad. Stretch looked really nice.

rquint

Post by rquint »

I'm still sticking with Jessie. It does what I need and I've got the right click working by changing the value of

Option "EmulateThirdButtonMoveThreshold" "30"

from 30 to 100. I think when you press for the right click normal shudder exceeds the threshold. You may be able to lower this value depending on how steady your hand is.

svh1985

Post by svh1985 »

Would be nice if Adafruit updated the image, they are still for sale so OS support should be there...

Adafruit, please let us hear you :)

Zwifi

Post by Zwifi »

Hello there,

I'm experiencing the same issue. Would it be possible to at least set up a disclaimer for new buyers, so that they don't get stranded too long over this issue ? I'm currently reverting to raspbian Jessie, and I guess it should work this way, but if the newest OS is not supported, it should be stated clearly :).

Best regards

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Glowy things (LCD, LED, TFT, EL) purchased at Adafruit”