Feather and 1.2" 4-digit 7-segment display

EL Wire/Tape/Panels, LEDs, pixels and strips, LCDs and TFTs, etc products from Adafruit

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
moWhite

Feather and 1.2" 4-digit 7-segment display

Post by moWhite »

I'm trying to power a 1.2" 4-digit 7-segment display from a Feather 32u4 or Feather HUZZAH. I'm using a PowerBoost 500 Basic to provide 5 volts to the display. The display isn't working with the basic backpack test. When I connect the smaller 0.56" display, it works and is nice and bright.

I've seen similar requests, but they have ended up not needing the 5v. Any help or suggestions would be great.

Feather 3v to Boost Bat
Feather GND to Boost GND

Boost 5v to Display +5V
Feather 3v to Display VIO
Feather GND to Display GND

Feather SDA to Display SDA
Feather CLK to Display CLK

https://www.adafruit.com/product/1268
https://www.adafruit.com/product/1903

moWhite

Re: Feather and 1.2" 4-digit 7-segment display

Post by moWhite »

I'm embarrassed to note that I posted a similar question one year ago. Sorry for the duplication. I'm doing some more testing and will post pictures and verification that the display is working.

Maybe I'm asking the wrong question: Given a Feather with 3.3v circuits, what is the best way to power a 5v display?

adafruit_support_rick

Post by adafruit_support_rick »

moWhite wrote:Feather 3v to Boost Bat
Feather GND to Boost GND
Don't think you want to do that. 3V is supposed to be 3V. It's the output from the voltage regulator. The battery is more than 3V, so you could damage your feather. You want to connect the Boost 5V to the Feather USB pin.

Try running the i2cScanner sketch and see if the display shows up.
https://playground.arduino.cc/Main/I2cScanner

Also, post some pictures of your soldering and wiring.

moWhite

Post by moWhite »

I'll try the i2c scanner and post pictures. Thanks.

To be clear, I'm using 3v from the feather to power the boost and then using the boost to power the LED. Boost BAT is power in.

adafruit_support_rick

Post by adafruit_support_rick »

moWhite wrote:To be clear, I'm using 3v from the feather to power the boost and then using the boost to power the LED. Boost BAT is power in.
? How are you powering the feather? From a battery?
You really don't want to drive the display from the feather's 3V. The display can take up to 120mA/digit. The feather's voltage regulator is only good to 500mA peak - and you can't run it at peak continuously. The boost will have its own inefficiencies as well. Taken together, you're overloading the voltage regulator. That;s probably why it doesn't work.

If you're running from a battery, use the battery voltage directly to drive the display. Or use the battery voltage to drive the power boost.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Glowy things (LCD, LED, TFT, EL) purchased at Adafruit”