Is my neopixel ring dead?
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Is my neopixel ring dead?

by martian on Thu Oct 05, 2017 1:32 am

Hi, so I got my first 24 neopixel ring today and was excited to try it out. I got it connected it to a Trinket MO with alligator clips, and found sample code that worked just fine. But then I tried to solder on some wires so I could more easily plug and unplug it.

I read something on the adafruit site that said to be careful of the tight spacing and suggested wiring through the face and soldering to the back so as to help avoid messy solder blobs shorting the neopixels. I did this and, to my eye it looked like a clean job, but when i tried to connect it again, I'm getting nothing. Worse, when I connect the power and ground to the trinket, the board goes dark -- no green indicators showing power and running code. if I unplug either, the board comes right back up, and goes immediately dark if I reconnect. I've tried other code and the board is working just fine, so I am assuming I shorted something.

My questions:

- Am I correct?
- Did I go too hot perhaps and melt something internally? My iron was perhaps a little hot.
- Is there an ideal wire to use? I striped breadboard wires, but perhaps one of the fine internal wires went awry?

I tried un-soldering the wires, but I think the terminals are more of a mess now... and still doesn't work.

Any advice on my next try here?

Thanks!

product in question:

https://www.adafruit.com/product/1586

martian

Re: Is my neopixel ring dead?

by franklin97355 on Thu Oct 05, 2017 10:55 pm

Post up some closeup pictures of your connections and we can take a look.

franklin97355

Re: Is my neopixel ring dead?

by martian on Fri Oct 06, 2017 7:03 pm

Here they are. 1 pic each of Ground, Power and Input. When I first soldered there was no visible solder on the front. Thanks :)
Attachments
IMG_0590.JPG
IMG_0590.JPG (184.28 KiB) Viewed 64 times
IMG_0591.JPG
IMG_0591.JPG (192.97 KiB) Viewed 64 times
IMG_0593.JPG
IMG_0593.JPG (186.34 KiB) Viewed 64 times

martian

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.