Cloud lamp project, RGB strips flicker green once.
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Cloud lamp project, RGB strips flicker green once.

by madbrow on Sun Oct 08, 2017 6:00 pm

]Hi, this is my first project with neopixels and the arduino.

Just for a quick overview of what I’m doing, here’s the project link: http://www.eclectical-engineering.com/p ... loud-lamp/

• As of now, I’ve tested each of my neopixel strands individually with a strand test and they work.
• My hc-06 Bluetooth module works perfectly with the arduino as well (did a test from a terminal app and it worked).
• After my “attempt” at wiring everything, the arduino powers up, the Bluetooth module powers up, but then the first LED of 3 or 4 strands blink green and that’s it.

When it comes to wiring the neopixels, I’m curious about the ground wires, is it necessary to have two soldered to the neopixels? I only soldered one ground wire onto the neopixels, but I did try one with two.

Sorry for the paragraph, this is my first project with the arduino and I’m driving myself crazy.
(I’ve attached some pics of my messy setup) Thanks so much for reading!

(Full set up)

(Close up arduino and Bluetooth module)

madbrow

Re: Cloud lamp project, RGB strips flicker green once.

by caitlinsdad on Sun Oct 08, 2017 8:36 pm

Sometimes the neopixel strips come with a factory tail 2nd ground wire. If you are powering the strips directly from a power supply, that wire ties the power supply ground back to the ground in the circuit on the Arduino so it can sense the neopixels properly. Is the ground from the power supply connected directly back to the arduino ground? The original project notes say that their code is complex and even though it may compile, you might have run out of memory when it runs causing the weird behavior on the neopixels. Maybe try some simpler code. There are several projects in the Adafruit Learn section like the Neopixel Headphones or other bluetooth light control projects to do similar effects to your cloud project. Maybe try the code from there to get things up and running. Good luck.

caitlinsdad

by adafruit_support_bill on Sun Oct 08, 2017 8:52 pm

There is a good reason to run power and ground separately from signal and ground as shown in the wiring diagram for the project you are following. You don't want to share the signal ground reference with the power supply ground because the power supply ground is noisy and can disrupt the signal.

However the 470 "current limiting resistors" shown in that diagram are not doing any current limiting - or anything else beneficial in that location. They should be installed as close as possible to the first pixel as instructed in the Best Practices page of the Neopixel Guide: http://learn.adafruit.com/adafruit-neop ... -practices

adafruit_support_bill

by madbrow on Sun Oct 08, 2017 11:38 pm

Ok thanks so much for the info and suggestions, I’ll give them a try! :)

madbrow

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.