strandtest failing for Rpi and DotStar LED strip

EL Wire/Tape/Panels, LEDs, pixels and strips, LCDs and TFTs, etc products from Adafruit

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
danielharan

strandtest failing for Rpi and DotStar LED strip

Post by danielharan »

I just got the DotStar LED strip (#2436, order 1555529-6079104889).

After cutting it to have only 40 LEDs on the strip and connecting it (a USB power supply, reads 4.99V), I tried to run strandtest.py, even though it's meant for colour. Tried again with 30 (changing the variable value in the script), same result.

No error is showing, and after a while the first 3 LEDs light up. I double checked that clock and data pins were correctly connected, added a ground from the strip to the Pi... still nothing. 5V and GND seem are making contact from start to end of the strip. Those 3 LEDs stay lit up and I have to disconnect power to reset them.

Is there anything else I should be checking? Is there an lower-level / easier way to get to "Hello World" with this than strandtest.py?

adafruit_support_rick

Re: strandtest failing for Rpi and DotStar LED strip

Post by adafruit_support_rick »

Are you using a level shifter on clock and data?

danielharan

Post by danielharan »

I have no idea what those are. I'm just trying to run the basic strandtest.
led_strip_test.jpg
led_strip_test.jpg (792.01 KiB) Viewed 355 times

Arudinne

Post by Arudinne »

danielharan wrote:I have no idea what those are. I'm just trying to run the basic strandtest.
led_strip_test.jpg
You need a level shifter to convert the RPi Signal to the higher voltage used by the Dotstar Strips.

Take a look at this guide: https://learn.adafruit.com/dotstar-pi-p ... star-strip

danielharan

Post by danielharan »

Argh - I skipped over the section that's bolded but nested between a comparison with a product I didn't buy and right before code for the Arduino. I also ignored the 3.3V stuff at the end of the section on Rpi because I thought earlier models didn't have 5V, which the latest versions have (?) so it didn't seem relevant.

Anyways, I'm annoyed by this delay and hope you'll make the product description and docs clearer about what's needed to make this product work.

adafruit_support_rick

Post by adafruit_support_rick »

danielharan

Post by danielharan »

Now that I bought a couple of those quad level-shifters, I'm wondering if there's a tutorial anywhere that shows a simple diagram of how they're supposed to be connected?

Arudinne

Post by Arudinne »

danielharan wrote:Now that I bought a couple of those quad level-shifters, I'm wondering if there's a tutorial anywhere that shows a simple diagram of how they're supposed to be connected?
https://learn.adafruit.com/dotstar-pi-p ... star-strip

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Glowy things (LCD, LED, TFT, EL) purchased at Adafruit”