Nearly All LEDs Failing
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Nearly All LEDs Failing

by lalyon on Sun Oct 29, 2017 12:52 am

Nearly all of the LEDs on my Black 30 LED Neopixel strips have stopped working. The first two, as well as a couple random LEDs farther down the strip, are lighting up. I've attached photos of my setup for reference. I've read the "DIGITAL LED STRIP READ ME FIRST!" post on this forum; neither the issue of insufficient RAM or power is the culprit, because the system has been working fine as-is for the past two months.

I'm using:
    2x 5m Neopixel strips,
    Arduino Uno R3,
    half-size breadboard,
    Female DC Power adapter - 2.1mm jack to screw terminal,
    2-pin JST SM Plug + Receptacle Cable Set,
    5V 10A switching power supply for the strips,
    5V 2A switching power supply for the Arduino,
    1000 microFarad Capacitor between the negative and positive terminals of the power supply,
    470 Ohm resistor between Neopixel data input and Arduino data pin

The issue:
Most of the LEDs on my 5m strips have stopped lighting up.

Context:
My current system has been working for over two months with no issues after initial setup. No changes have been made since the last time the system worked (two days ago).

Steps taken to resolve the issue:
I've tried resetting the Arduino, and sending new code to the Arduino.
I've tried changing the data pin I'm using in the code and on the Arduino.
I've ensured that all grounds are connected, both the data ground and the ground between the Arduino and the power supply.
I've checked that I'm using the 10A supply on the strip and the 2A supply on the Arduino.
I've tried powering the Arduino from my computer's USB port.
I've tried re-wiring the power supply connections, according to the Adafruit Neopixel Uberguide.

My system isn't the prettiest, but it worked up until two days ago. I didn't make any changes to wiring, so I'm unsure what could have caused this issue.
Attachments
IMG_2235.jpg
IMG_2235.jpg (990.86 KiB) Viewed 348 times
IMG_2232.jpg
IMG_2232.jpg (845.4 KiB) Viewed 348 times
IMG_2230.jpg
IMG_2230.jpg (926.04 KiB) Viewed 348 times

lalyon

Re: Nearly All LEDs Failing

by franklin97355 on Sun Oct 29, 2017 1:29 am

The resistor in picture 2232 is not doing anything because all the pins on row 6 are shorted together.

franklin97355

Re: Nearly All LEDs Failing

by lalyon on Wed Mar 07, 2018 10:32 pm

My reply is over three months late, so I don't expect much in the way of additional help here. I'm not familiar with electrical connections, so I did some research and tried to figure out how to properly connect the resistor in the attached picture.
IMG_1733.jpg
IMG_1733.jpg (829.59 KiB) Viewed 166 times

Not much has changed in my setup. I still have two 5m strips connected together with an Arduino Uno and all of the components pictured above. I found out that one of my strips works perfectly! It's just the second strip that only has two functioning LEDs. Like I said in my original post, nothing has changed in regards to connection.

Is it possible that having the resistor improperly wired fried my strip? Any advice would be appreciated.
Attachments
IMG_1734.jpg
IMG_1734.jpg (961.24 KiB) Viewed 166 times

lalyon

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.