WS2812B - Flickering after solder

EL Wire/Tape/Panels, LEDs, pixels and strips, LCDs and TFTs, etc products from Adafruit

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
smitmartijn

WS2812B - Flickering after solder

Post by smitmartijn »

Hi,

I have a couple of (official) WS2812B LED strips which I'm trying to use for a project. It's powered by an Arduino. The coding is fine, everything works on the pre-soldered connections that come with a WS2812B. The Arduino has a PIR attached and simply fades in the LEDs to a warm white when motion is detected, and fades out when the motion stops. Again, works fine on the pre-soldered connections.

The last step is to extend the wiring so I can separate the LEDs and the Arduino and this is where my troubles start. No matter which type of cable I use, how long I make it (in any case under 3 meter, even tried 10 cm), the LEDs don't respond properly anymore after attaching it back to the Arduino. When the fade in sequence kicks in, it's like a strobe light with different colors. When the sequence has ended, it gets back to a single color (but not the color it's supposed to be) and the first LED on the strip is slightly different (greenish).

I'm at a loss here and don't know how to fix this and hope anyone here has any thoughts on this.

Thanks!

adafruit_support_bill

Re: WS2812B - Flickering after solder

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

Have you installed a 300-500 ohm resistor at the strip end of your signal wire as recommended? http://learn.adafruit.com/adafruit-neop ... -practices

If you post some photos showing your soldering and connections we can take a look.

smitmartijn

Post by smitmartijn »

Hi Bill,

Thanks for replying. And I thought that I had the right resistor in place...However on a second look, it was a 550 ohm, which is out of the bounds you mentioned. I just swapped it and it seems to be working at intended now..Thanks!

adafruit_support_bill

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

Good to hear it is working for you now. Thanks for the follow-up.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Glowy things (LCD, LED, TFT, EL) purchased at Adafruit”