Equipping my ceiling with Neopixels - Power distribution
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Equipping my ceiling with Neopixels - Power distribution

by sherlocked on Tue Nov 14, 2017 10:51 am

Hi,

I'm planning to equip my room ceiling with neopixels to light up the ceiling in an indirect way.

My room has a combined wall length of about 13 meters and I´m planning to use 30LEDs/m Neopixel strips. Even though these are only 30LEDs/m and not the 60LEDs/m I will need a huge amount of current to drive them (Actually I plan to use 2 identical Power supplies to power two different zones to minimize loss in wiring)

Even though the amount of current is still high (about 13Amp+) I thought about wiring two strips in series and us a 10V Power supply instead of a 5V one. I don´t know if I have missed something huge because I found nothing on this topic online.

I hope someone can help me because I am no electrician. I am always open to questions :)

sherlocked

Re: Equipping my ceiling with Neopixels - Power distribution

by adafruit_support_bill on Tue Nov 14, 2017 10:59 am

(Actually I plan to use 2 identical Power supplies to power two different zones to minimize loss in wiring)

2 supplies is not a problem. You will need to connect just signal and ground between the zones. However, with multiple meters of strip, you will want to feed power to multiple points per zone. A power feed every couple-hundred pixels or more would be ideal.

I thought about wiring two strips in series and us a 10V Power supply instead of a 5V one

That will not work.

I hope someone can help me because I am no electrician. I am always open to questions :)

For an installation such as that, you should consult with an electrician that is familiar with your local wiring codes.

adafruit_support_bill

by sherlocked on Tue Nov 14, 2017 12:42 pm

adafruit_support_bill wrote:For an installation such as that, you should consult with an electrician that is familiar with your local wiring codes.

I´m in contact with a friend, who is an electrician, so from a safety standpoint, everything should be fine.

adafruit_support_bill wrote:That will not work.

Can you explain to me why?

sherlocked

by adafruit_support_bill on Tue Nov 14, 2017 12:58 pm

Because you need a common ground for all the pixels. If you try to wire them in series, half of your pixels will have a ground reference 5v higher than the other half.

adafruit_support_bill

by sherlocked on Tue Nov 14, 2017 2:41 pm

Ok. That makes sense. Thank you for your fast help :)

sherlocked

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.