Dotstar status vs Neopixel?
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Dotstar status vs Neopixel?

by plutonic on Sun Nov 19, 2017 3:46 pm

I want to control a strip of individually addressed LED's, preferably from MicroPython on a Trinket M0 but I can write C code if necessary. DotStar seems like a much simpler way to do this than Neopixel, since you can just send SPI commands, not need precise timing etc. But, it looks like DotStar is relatively buried on the site compared with Neopixel, and most of the LED discussion on this forum section is about Neopixel. Dotstar is barely mentioned.

Can anyone say the current status of Dotstar? Is it still too new to have gotten much use yet? Are there any issues with it that I should know about before ordering strips? Is there a reason to use Neopixel instead other than Neopixel being a little bit cheaper, given enough MCU pins?

Thanks!

plutonic

Re: Dotstar status vs Neopixel?

by Berberich on Sun Jan 21, 2018 5:00 am

plutonic wrote:I want to control a strip of individually addressed LED's, preferably from MicroPython on a Trinket M0 but I can write C code if necessary.

Hi Plutonic, if you're still around could you let us know if you were able to get it setup and if so how? Thanks!

Berberich

by plutonic on Fri Apr 13, 2018 3:41 am

Berberic I'm still around and just saw this. My project was backburnered for a while but I've gotten interested in it again. I've played with the dotstar included with the gemma m0 board, that is controlled by bit-banged SPI written in Python, and which is very simple. The Python code is slow but rewriting it in C should be plenty fast. I haven't tried a strip yet, but running a dotstar strip should be easy if they work the way the doc pages say. Neopixel is trickier because of the precise timing needed. Dotstar uses an extra i/o pin to clock the signal so timing is easy.

plutonic

by adafruit_support_carter on Fri Apr 13, 2018 2:01 pm

adafruit_support_carter

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.