Dotstar strip on a trinket M0 possible?

EL Wire/Tape/Panels, LEDs, pixels and strips, LCDs and TFTs, etc products from Adafruit

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
martian

Dotstar strip on a trinket M0 possible?

Post by martian »

I want to try and make the dotstar POV project for bicycle tires that adafruit has on their website.

https://learn.adafruit.com/bike-wheel-p ... y/overview

The project calls for a 5V pro trinket and I'm trying to figure out if I can get away with using a trinket M0. The M0 is 3.3V logic and the dotstar information states:
DotStars are 5V devices. While you might get them to respond to 3.3V signals, this is not a guaranteed thing and should not be counted on. For low-voltage microcontrollers and systems such as Raspberry Pi, a logic level shifter (e.g. 74AHCT125) is recommended for both the data and clock pins

I would rather avoid having to incorporate a logical level shifter into the design.

But the M0 board itself has a tiny dotstar rgb led right in it, so I'm thinking maybe this will work?

Does anyone have any insight or information?
Thank you :-)

martian

Re: Dotstar strip on a trinket M0 possible?

Post by martian »

Old post of mine, but if anyone finds this and wonders, I purchased and was able to get the dotstar strip working off the 3v out on the Trinket M0. Only running a short strip of about 36 pixels, but no problem.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Glowy things (LCD, LED, TFT, EL) purchased at Adafruit”