Micro SD Card Problems on TFT Touchscreen
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Micro SD Card Problems on TFT Touchscreen

by amarch on Mon Nov 27, 2017 4:06 pm

Hello,
I had purchased about 100 of Adafruit's 3.5" TFT touchscreens.

I had a few before but wasn't able to pinpoint the issue until I had more. Some of my prototypes had trouble starting the SPI connection to the SD card. After testing it with more units and different kinds of SD cards, I have concluded that there is an issue with the SD card holder/mechanism. On some screens, it will not read the SD card I put in (even though the same SD card will work on other screens). Sometimes I can hear an audible short happening when I attempt to initialize the SD card in the firmware - it creates a high-pitched whine from the SD card holder and intensifies if I press down on the holder.

I am experiencing this problem with about 20% of the screens that I was shipped (and one of the screens was cracked out of the box)!
Do you have protocols for fixing the micro SD card holder? Furthermore, a lot of SD cards (Sandisk, Samsung, Kingston) simply have problems reading. I have some experience with micro SD card holders and these spring loaded ones that are on the screens really suck. But since they are already there, what do you suggest I do to salvage the units that I already have?

Thank you for your help!

amarch

Re: Micro SD Card Problems on TFT Touchscreen

by amarch on Sun Dec 03, 2017 10:40 pm

Any follow-up to this question? Short of replacing the actual micro SD devices, I am not sure what to do. This is some very poor manufacturing QA/QC!

amarch

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.