1.4" TFT Color LCD display uneven pattern
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

1.4" TFT Color LCD display uneven pattern

by mcinsand on Wed Nov 29, 2017 11:41 am

I purchased one of the 1.4" color displays, but the light output is uneven. In fact, no matter what the color, there is a pattern that looks almost as if it is a really, really blurry image of some sort of object. Even if I try to fill the entire screen with white, this pattern is present, which has me thinking that there is an issue with the backlighting. I'm hoping that I'm making a n00b mistake, since I'd really like to order another one or two to play with.

Regards.

mcinsand

Re: 1.4" TFT Color LCD display uneven pattern

by mcinsand on Thu Nov 30, 2017 7:14 am

Okay, so no replies. After playing a bit more, I'm pretty sure that my display has a screwed-up backlight. However, I'm overlooking just how to reach Adafruit direction to discuss the defective item. Can anyone give me a pointer?

mcinsand

by mcinsand on Wed Dec 06, 2017 10:46 am

Okay, so still nothing. Look, I order from Adafruit because I do believe in supporting developers, and I don't want to use the libraries without buying from the company. HOWEVER, if Adafruit isn't going to support me when I have a problem with an item that I purchased, then maybe I would be just as well off to order displays from wherever. The backlight on the device that I received is bad. It sort of works, but the illumination is anything but even. To be clearer, the backlight is unacceptably uneven. I'll check back in a day. If no responses, then I'll start looking elsewhere for displays and libraries.

mcinsand

by Disciple on Wed Dec 06, 2017 4:01 pm

My requests mostly get noticed, but now and then one is missed. Maybe uploading photos of the wiring and the problem will trip the radar. 800x600 images at 1Mb or under are preferred. If that fails, try again in a new topic but add no replies. Unanswered posts are more easily found. (Or you might combine them, a new topic with photos.) Hope this helps.

Hallelujah!
Disciple

Disciple

by mcinsand on Wed Dec 06, 2017 5:18 pm

Thank you for replying. Cropping the image to get down to <1MB took a bit, but this pic shows the effect with a whilte fillscreen. The effect is there with whatever fillscreen and whatever pattern, but a solid fill shows it best. Any suggestions on who or how to contact AdaFruit about the problem?

Regards
Attachments
Problem OLED.jpg
TFT problem screen
Problem OLED.jpg (937.11 KiB) Viewed 121 times

mcinsand

by Disciple on Thu Dec 07, 2017 3:43 am

mcinsand wrote:Any suggestions on who or how to contact AdaFruit about the problem?
You're in the right place, and this thread may do it, but the best bet is a new topic with a single post describing the problem, left there in solitude. The techs search for such unanswered posts first. One of these two topics should get expert help, and the other will likely get locked.

As for me, I know nothing about TFT tech and my opinion is worthless, but that photo shows quite a blemish. It looks like LEDs at the edges provide backlight for the liquid crystal layer, and something physical is interfering with the light path. If you're testing with color fills and patterns then I doubt that code or wiring is suspect. How are you powering your components?

Hallelujah!
DIsciple

Disciple

by mcinsand on Thu Dec 07, 2017 6:40 am

Thank you very much. Will do.

mcinsand

by mcinsand on Fri Dec 08, 2017 9:15 am

Disciple,

Thank you very much for your suggestions, and I did start a new post yesterday with a couple of shots. Plenty of views, but no responses.

>>As for me, I know nothing about TFT tech and my opinion is worthless, but that photo shows quite a blemish.
>>It looks like LEDs at the edges provide backlight for the liquid crystal layer, and something physical is interfering with the light path.
>>If you're testing with color fills and patterns then I doubt that code or wiring is suspect. How are you powering your components?

We're on the same page. I went from 3V power to 5V to see if that would make a difference (it has with some screens). No luck. I also tried to power with a separate, higher current ability power supply. Still the same result. I think I'm going to see what other screens are available.

Regards

mcinsand

by Disciple on Sat Dec 09, 2017 2:15 pm

Well, I'm here wishing I had more to offer. In my bystander's opinion, that looks like a physical defect. Couldn't guess whether it's manufacture-related. Those usually get authorizations for replacement, if the support techs arrive. (The unanswered glowy threads do seem to be stacking up.)

Once, only once, I posted a support issue that went unnoticed. After a time I had to email support@adafruit.com with a yoo-hoo and a link to my post, and that got a response. So I dunno, maybe give 'em a couple more days?

Hallelujah!
Disciple

Disciple

by mcinsand on Mon Dec 11, 2017 9:04 am

Disciple,

Thank you very much, and I'll send a note to support. I'm not too worried about it, though a reason I wanted to purchase from and support Adafruit. My timing would allow for purchasing less expensively from overseas, but I fully respect the time that goes into the libraries, so I do believe in supporting the organization that makes playing with Arduino so much easier for me.

Fingers crossed that I get a response, and thank you for your help!

mcinsand

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.