OLED Feather Wing stopped working
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

OLED Feather Wing stopped working

by claudeheintz on Tue Dec 05, 2017 2:29 pm

I have an OLED feather wing attached to an 8266 based feather board. It has been working fine for a while. Today, when I looked at it, only part of the normal display was showing.
I unplugged everything, looked for cold solder, and plugged it back into the 8266 feather. Now, it does not display anything. I'm sure its not the sketch. I loaded an example sketch and the buttons work fine. There's just nothing showing on the display. Its like the backlight has failed. Is there any way to test this?

claudeheintz

Re: OLED Feather Wing stopped working

by adafruit_support_carter on Tue Dec 05, 2017 2:30 pm

Post a photo showing everything hooked up.

adafruit_support_carter

by claudeheintz on Tue Dec 05, 2017 2:48 pm

https://github.com/claudeheintz/LXDMXWi ... eather.JPG

The board has been modified to connect button C to pin 13. However, as you can see from the picture, its working. It has been working for months. Nothing in the sketch or the connections has changed. I'm looking for a place to put my meter or something similar to check the backlight if this is possible. I can probably find the schematic and look at the I2C pins when the sketch writes to the display. But, I highly doubt that's the problem. Because it partly failed, then completely failed, I suspect the backlight or the driver circuit for the backlight. I'm looking for a way to check that.

claudeheintz

by adafruit_support_carter on Tue Dec 05, 2017 3:17 pm

Inlining photo for reference:
ESP-DMX-Feather.JPG
ESP-DMX-Feather.JPG (170.97 KiB) Viewed 120 times

adafruit_support_carter

by adafruit_support_carter on Tue Dec 05, 2017 3:32 pm

It's an OLED, so doesn't have a backlight like an LCD display does. The schematics for the display and the associated datasheets are here:
https://learn.adafruit.com/adafruit-ole ... g/download
which you can reference, but I'm not sure how easily accessible any of this will be for troubleshooting. I'll ask here and see if anyone has ideas.

adafruit_support_carter

by claudeheintz on Tue Dec 05, 2017 6:50 pm

My feather OLED is slightly different than the schematic. It looks like there is a transistor near the reset button.

The I2C bus shows repeated bursts of 0x78+NAK which is the same as I see without the OLED connected. I'm not sure, but that seems like it is probably a repeated start sequence that the OLED is not acknowledging. I'm not sure what happened. But, my guess is that the OLED just died.

And, on close inspection, the acrylic in the corner near the ribbon cable appears cracked. That corner does not appear to have any wires. But, its so small I can't tell for sure. its broken in a line running at about 45 degrees from points about 2mm each way from the corner closest to the SCL SDA pins.

My guess is that its time for a new one. Thanks for your help..

claudeheintz

by adafruit2 on Wed Dec 06, 2017 4:03 pm

the transistor is normal, its acutally a reset controller which manually resets the board on power up, makes the OLED more reliable
but yeah if there's a crack in the glass, it will no longer work because that glass actually has traces on it!
good work figuring out the issue :)

adafruit2
Site Admin

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.