32x32 RGB Matrix - Double Buffer Wont Work
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

32x32 RGB Matrix - Double Buffer Wont Work

by Brad_83 on Wed Dec 06, 2017 3:15 am

So I have an Arduino Uno, and a 32x32 matrix. When using the demo scroll text, the double buffer value of 'true' has to be changed to 'false' for it to display anything on the matrix. And with the double buffer off, the text flickers pretty bad. Now, I realize the code is for the 16x32, but I changed the definitions and constructor accordingly.

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated. I'm trying to get a graduation cap done before 12/15/17.

So, just to clarify, I can get scroll text to work. Even with my own message and selected colors. But there is quite a lot of flickering, and I assume it is because the double buffer value has to be changed to "false?" Can someone please assist?

-Brad

Brad_83

Re: 32x32 RGB Matrix - Double Buffer Wont Work

by Brad_83 on Wed Dec 06, 2017 5:23 pm

bump

Anybody?

Brad_83

Re: 32x32 RGB Matrix - Double Buffer Wont Work

by dearner on Thu Dec 07, 2017 2:26 am

Hey,
So, I've had reasonably good results running these matrices without double buffering. I think if you're redrawing a lot of pixels quickly, there's going to be some flicker no matter what. I've had good luck with animations that keep careful track of what pixels change and only redraw those, but the code tends to be a pain.

I think the uno, though, only barely has enough memory to run a 32x32 matrix - so if you want to keep the size and the double buffering, a mega might be your best bet (which work great, I have a bunch of projects that use a 32x32 matrix running on a mega). There are more byzantine solutions that use an uno (or a atmega328-on-breadboard) to drive the matrix and, say, an esp8266 to do the logic, but my guess is you don't have time to work through something like that.

dearner

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.