OLED Display 2088 Uneven Image
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

OLED Display 2088 Uneven Image

by mcinsand on Thu Dec 07, 2017 8:28 am

I purchased product 2088, and sending text and geometrics to the display works well, but the brightness is uneven. Something seems to be wrong with the display. Attached are two images with the display filled in as white and filled in as green. The uneven brightness is still there when drawing lines or rectangles, but it's easier to see with a solid fill. How do I address the problem?

Also, with this display, at least, red and yellow appear to be flipped in the library. If I want red, I call for yellow, and vice versa. However, interpolating between the two for orange works well.
Attachments
green.jpg
uneven OLED brightness, in green
green.jpg (999.67 KiB) Viewed 109 times
Problem OLED.jpg
Uneven OLED brightness.
Problem OLED.jpg (937.11 KiB) Viewed 109 times

mcinsand

Re: OLED Display 2088 Uneven Image

by adafruit_support_mike on Tue Dec 12, 2017 12:41 am

PID 2088 is an LCD rather than an OLED display.

The distortion looks like pressure along the screen, or possibly across its back. Try using a thin knife to separate any tape between the display and the PCB and see if that improves the distortion.

adafruit_support_mike

by mcinsand on Tue Dec 12, 2017 9:21 am

Ah-ha. I think we can see the problem now. The LCD panel lifted easily, and attached is an image. The transparent plastic behind the LCD is apparently held in place by a bit of double-sided tape, and the tape is what's showing when I want to see a solid screenfill. Maybe I just haven't played with enough LCD's, but I haven't seen one where a solid fill is so... unsolid. Is this method of fastening the backlayer in place normal? Any solutions?
Attachments
open LCD shrunk.jpg
LCD panel flipped up to show plastic behind
open LCD shrunk.jpg (229.18 KiB) Viewed 40 times

mcinsand

by adafruit_support_mike on Wed Dec 13, 2017 12:46 am

Something is wrong there. That part of the display shouldn't come apart easily, and I don't think the tape should be there.

Send a note containing a link to this thread and your order number to support@adafruit.com. The folks there will get you a replacement display.

(#2088)

adafruit_support_mike

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.